[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  22/JUL/2011 11:31 AM
Assunto:  contentar-se

Mensagem:  to make do with = To use or be content with what you have available.
--I have $100.  I would like $200, but that is an impossible dream and I will have to make do with $100.  (Do I have $100?  Yes.  Do I want more?  Yes.  Will I get more?  No.  What can I do?  I must find a way to resolve my problem with less than all the money I want/need.)
--I have food for three people but four people are coming to dinner.  I will make do with what I have.  (Do I have enough food?  No.  Do I want more?  Yes.  Will I get more?  No.  What will I do?  I don't know, but I will have to put more water in the soup or find another way for four people to be content with food for three.) 

to settle for = To be content with what someone else has available for you
--John has $100 he can lend me.  I would like $200, but that is an impossible dream and I will have to settle for $100.  (Do I have $100?  No, but John has $100.  Can he lend me more?  No.  Do I want more?  Yes.  Will I get more?  No.  What must I do?  I must either accept the money and find a way to resolve my problem with it, or I can refuse it.)
----I have food for three people but four people are coming to dinner.  They will have to settle for less food.  (Do I have enough food?  No.  Do I want more?  Yes.  Will I get more?  No.  What can I do?  Well, my guests must be content with less food, they must settle for less food.) 

I hope you understand the examples I give.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
contentar-se  –  Charlotte  22/JUL/2011, 7:54 AM
 contentar-se  –  Dale-USA  22/JUL/2011, 11:31 AM
contentar-se  –  Charlotte  22/JUL/2011, 12:56 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K