PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  26/JUL/2011 4:28 AM
Assunto:  pull the race card

Mensagem: 

WIKIPEDIA:

Playing the race card is an idiomatic phrase that refers to the act of bringing the issue of race or racism into a debate. It is mostly used by a person accused of being racist.[citation needed] For instance, "He/she played a race card on me," means that "He/she accused me of being a racist, but it really wasn't about race." On the other hand, the person "playing the race card" may or may not have genuinely believed the person to be a racist.

It is often difficult to prove someone's motives or true thoughts on either side when playing the race card. For example, "You're only saying that because I'm Asian" may be true or not. There is really no way to know what people truly think in many cases, since you can't simply "replay" a debate with people of various ethnicities. Perhaps the accused would have said the same words to someone of any race. The accused may be equally offended if they weren't thinking in a racist manner, and suggest, "You're only playing the racist card on me because I'm White," (implying that the other person is actually the racist), which may also be true or not true.

This was said about nthe defense in the OJ Simpson trial.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
pull the race card  –  Charlotte  25/JUL/2011, 10:50 PM
 pull the race card  –  Dale-USA  26/JUL/2011, 4:28 AM
pull the race card  –  Charlotte  27/JUL/2011, 7:26 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K