ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  04/AGO/2011 9:05 PM
Assunto:  How about you, what about you

Mensagem: 

To my thinking, most of times they might be used in the same way and same purpose.

Anyway, I have seem some guy´s views, and that´s interesting points, I mean, sometimes they do seems like used in different ways, depending of context...

Look to what I found:

I like soda, what about you? = What do you like?  (Eu gosto de refrigerante, e quanto a você? de que você gosta?

I like soda, how about you? = Do you like it?      (Eu gosto de refrigerante, e você [gosta?]   )

I'm feeling great, what about you? = How are you feeling?
I'm feeling great, how about you? = Do you also feel great?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simon -What are your favorite books? (Quais são os seus livros preferidos?)
     Jeniffer -I like novel and fiction (Eu gosto de romance e ficção)
     Simon - and what about you? (e você?)

When somebody asks using "what", I think it is easier to use "what about you", but it is not a rule.  In fact, in the above example you could "how about you" with no big difference in meaning. I think.   

In general, when you have a follow-up question  (when you ask back to this person that talked to you), then both can be used.

That is, How/what about you ? is used to ask questions that refers to the information or question that immediately preceded:           "I’m busy! How about you ? "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One good rule to go, I think.

http://www.tesol.org/s_tesol/sec_document.asp?CID=647&DID=12448
    But that usually involves making some sort of suggestion. For example:
A: What do you feel like doing this afternoon?
B: Hmm . . . How about a movie? / What about a movie?

But when asking about what another person wants, it's more common to use How about . . . ?
A: I'm going to get a hot fudge sundae. How about you?
B: Hmm . . . I think I'll just get an ice cream cone.

==================

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2034821

The Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary definition of 'what about ?' states that this collocation is used to suggest something:

What about Lola - shall we invite her? What about taking a few days off?

In other words, 'What about you?' seems to be a short form for 'What about you - are you fine/pretty good/doing well too?'

The dictionary definition of 'how about ?' is practically identical, except that the collocation is described as informal:
  INFORMAL used to make a suggestion: How about the cinema tonight? How about going to the cinema?

http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/clause-phrase-and-sentence/verb-patterns/clauses-short-forms
2. We often use questions with What about… or How about … to refer back to what someone has said:
A: I love the Beatles. What about you?
B: Yes, I love their music too.

A: Your father seems to be working hard. What about your mother?
B: Yes she’s working hard too?

A: I’m exhausted. How about you?
B: No, I’m fine.

So, they are often they can be interchangeable, anyway, be careful about  the informal/informal way, or if it is more of an offer  (if one wants or not what you are offering )  than a suggestion.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
How about you, what about you  –  Bruno  04/AGO/2011, 10:53 AM
 How about you, what about you  –  PPAULO  04/AGO/2011, 9:05 PM
How about you, what about you  –  PPAULO  04/AGO/2011, 10:15 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K