LINGUISTICS & CULTURE
|Data:||07/DEZ/2011 11:03 PM|
Crazy times. The world has more important things to think about than punishing a child for something so silly.
Cute has at least two basic meanings.
It can mean attractive or pretty. (men to women, women to women, women to men but not men to men).
(1) Bill says that Peggy is a cute girl.
(2) Mary thinks that John's necktie is cute.
(3) Martha tells Sue that her blouse looks cute.
(4) Frank thinks Jim is cute. Only in humor would you expect to hear "cute" used between men.
It can also mean clever or tricky, but in a negative or artificial way.
(1) I told my daughter she could not leave the house. She thought she would be cute and get permission from her mother.
(2) It was very cute of the thief to thank the victims for the money he had stolen.
(3) Don't be cute with me! Don't be ill mannered with me!
(4) He thinks he is so cute! What a conniving liar he is!
Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens