[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  18/DEZ/2011 11:20 PM
Assunto:  Spanish Question to Dale

Mensagem:  I see PPaulo has been reading my mail again.  Maybe I should forward my correspondence for his approval.

Fran, "pedazo" (piece) is a shortened form of an insult.  The most common versions are "pedazo de mierda" and "pedazo de hijo de puta".  Before you freak out, name calling is fairly common in Costa Rica.  In fact, "palabrotas" or profanity is quite common. It isn't what is said, but how it is said.  (Personally, the first time someone called me a name like that would also be his last time.)  If the two are on good terms, and the American doesn't mind, fine.  That is something between them.  If not, the American may want to counter with something insulting of his own.  Of course, as PPaulo pointed out, "pedazo" could be a shortened form of "pedazo de cielo".  This is likely the case if the Tico likes boys and has grown romantically attracted to his American friend.  Otherwise, an insult is being repeatedly said with the belief that the American will never understand it. 

"Von" is short for "huevón".  It was once a common insult/salutation in Costa Rica.  It means "big testicle" and implies the person has deformed testicles that do not permit him to work.  In other words, he is lazy.  "Huevón" is widely used in Spanish speaking countries, but in Costa Rica "von" has achieved a level of perfection matched nowhere else.  It has seen its zenith, however, and has been largely replaced by "cara de picha".   

"Cara de picha" is very Costa Rican.  I've never heard it outside Costa Rica, but I assume that somewhere, someplace, someone is saying at this very moment.  It means "penis face".  Anyone who would permit someone to call him that is such a wuss that there is simply no hope for him.

If your American friend were to call the Tico (Costa Rican) "cara de picha", he would get an immediate reaction.  If the Tico doesn't care for this new term of endearment, the American could suggest they go back to calling each other by their Christian names.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Spanish Question to Dale   –  Fran  18/DEZ/2011, 7:10 PM
Spanish Question to Dale   –  PPAULO.  18/DEZ/2011, 8:21 PM
 Spanish Question to Dale   –  Dale-USA  18/DEZ/2011, 11:20 PM
Spanish Question to Dale   –  PPAULO  19/DEZ/2011, 12:05 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K