[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  04/JAN/2012 1:07 PM
Assunto:  MORE MUSIC - to Dale

Mensagem:  On the subject of mistakes, let me  mention two that are extremely common among ESL students in general.

(1) They do not capitalize "English".  I read "english" in the writings of members of even this forum, members who write wonderful English.  I mean, wonderful "english".  What is the problem?  Why is it so difficult to remember the word is capitalized?  If it is a language or refers to a nationality, capitalize it.  Simple.

(2) I cringe when I read "gonna, wanna, doncha, wouldya, hava, etc."  To a native speaker, this is self-admission of limited education and a poor command of the language.  True, these spellings are found in cartoons, comic books, chat rooms, etc.  They are not found in serious books.  I don't think people understand my sense of humor when I encourage them to write like that when filling out their job applications for positions at MacDonalds.   Writing like that does not make one sound "native", just deprived of education.  Notice that I keep saying "writing".  In a conversation, the difference is so slight that it can go unnoticed.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
MORE MUSIC - to Dale  –  Thomaz B.  04/JAN/2012, 9:00 AM
MORE MUSIC - to Dale  –  Dale-USA  04/JAN/2012, 12:15 PM
 MORE MUSIC - to Dale  –  Dale-USA  04/JAN/2012, 1:07 PM
MORE MUSIC - to Dale  –  Thomaz B.  04/JAN/2012, 2:19 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K