ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  miltonhw
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  05/JAN/2012 8:17 PM
Assunto:  as cheesy as it sounds

Mensagem: 

What does mean “as cheesy as it sounds” in the texts one and two below.

Context:

1.) one.

“Girls and boys usually attend classes together in American public schools. But there are some single-sex programs, like a girls public school in Dallas, Texas. It opened in two thousand four. The studentshave done well enough that the school system is now opening a school for boys.

The Barack Obama Male Leadership Academy is part of the Dallas Independent School District. The school year begins Monday. Academy Principal Nakia Douglas has been giving tours to incoming students and their parents.

(…)

Another parent, Madeline Hayes, also likes the idea of a publicly funded school for boys.

MADELINE HAYES: "This is something, as cheesy as it sounds, that I’ve always dreamed about, that there will be a boys school that doesn’t charge twenty-five thousand dollars a year, but would give the same academics, the same level of interaction and leadership.”

The school is for grades six through nine. It will offer college preparatory classes and leadership courses even on weekends.”

Context.

2.) two.

I'm a HUGE...HUGE Nigella Lawson fan. Next to Martha,Nigella is my next idol. As cheesyas it sounds, it's true. What I love about her, is the fact that she makes cooking looks easy. I know that you're going to say "But you don't cook..." Yeah I know but then again she bakes too!
I have recently purchased her new book called 
Nigella Express, haven't had a chance to really read it, just browse through it, so far, I'm intrigue. I'm even excited for her latest tv show aptly calledeerrr.... Nigella Express, what else? I'll be able to watch it through Travel and Living channel starting this March, can't hardly wait!

Arigato!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 as cheesy as it sounds  –  miltonhw  05/JAN/2012, 8:17 PM
as cheesy as it sounds  –  PPAULO  05/JAN/2012, 9:05 PM
as cheesy as it sounds  –  Teacher  06/JAN/2012, 2:02 AM
as cheesy as it sounds  –  Dale-USA  06/JAN/2012, 2:55 AM
as cheesy as it sounds  –  Thomaz B.  06/JAN/2012, 5:44 PM
as cheesy as it sounds  –  Visitante  06/JAN/2012, 8:47 AM
as cheesy as it sounds  –  Oiroso_  06/JAN/2012, 9:55 AM
as cheesy as it sounds  –  miltonhw  12/JAN/2012, 12:27 AM