Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Sidney
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  22/JAN/2012 1:12 AM
Assunto:  How to fix long-ingrained pronunciation mistakes?

Mensagem: 

Hi there,

You mentioned very good points and facts. Sometimes, natives are just being polite or comparing your skills with someone with poor or no skills whatsoever.

Now, for a long time, I thought I could get rid (completely) of my "Brazilian accent" but now I can live with it. First of all, all the girls say it's charming (which they can also just being polite...LOL). Second of all, it stands you out of the whole and shows your own identity.

Accent is a problem when one can't be understood. I tried one book that Ricardo has in the "library" section of this forum. It's called "Accurate English" (http://www.amazon.ca/Accurate-English-Complete-Course-Pronunciation/dp/0130072532/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327200725&sr=1-1) But you need the Audio, I have in MP3 we can find a way to share it.

I also found a good book called "English Pronunciation for Brazilians". Great book written by Brazilians that know well how hard it can be.

If you really want to go deep there's another one called, "How to teach English Pronunciation" This book shows the problems the Brazilian Portuguese students might face. Example, when we pronounce SCHOOL (most of Brazilians start with "i" "iskool" rather than S "skool".

Nowadays, when I start speaking I can tell people are trying to identify my accent. As one American told me once, "a middle Atlantic accent"...LOL

Good luck,

Sid.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
How to fix long-ingrained pronunciation mistakes?  –  (Ex)Exchange student  20/JAN/2012, 11:47 PM
How to fix long-ingrained pronunciation mistakes?  –  Dale-USA  21/JAN/2012, 1:23 AM
 How to fix long-ingrained pronunciation mistakes?  –  Sidney  22/JAN/2012, 1:12 AM
How to fix long-ingrained pronunciation mistakes?  –  (Ex)Exchange student  28/JAN/2012, 7:34 PM
How to fix long-ingrained pronunciation mistakes?  –  Sidney  30/JAN/2012, 12:17 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K