PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Sidney
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  22/JAN/2012 5:58 PM
Assunto:  Do Americans feel afraid of the growth of English

Mensagem: 

Hi Jefferson,

It's hard to judge a person can you imagine an entire country. Unless you meet and

talk to every 300 million Americans it's really hard to tell. I think you would be surprised

to know how many americans speak Spanish.

US played an important role in world development and they never asked other people

to speak English. Before it was French the global language it is hard as hell to learn.

Now English is easy to learn and to master. I met with people from Pakistan, China, India and we were only able to talk and share some laughs thank to English language.

Of course there are lazy people all around the world. Some Americans take advantage

that the world now speaks English and they don't see the necessity to learn another language.

But if we look to our own country, surrounded by Spanish speaking countries. How many Brazilians do you know that speak a fair Spanish? The ones I know make up words and put "ito" at the end of every word and think they're speaking Spanish. Laziness my friend.

Before we go for English, I think we should learn Spanish. If you talk to a Colombian for example, he or she, will tell you things about our movies, music, actors and so on. What do we know about Colombia? Drugs? Is located in South America? Is that all?

There's a saying here in Canada that goes, "when you point one finger to someone, you're pointing three to yourself". We need to fix our own problems there first.

There's a book called, "English as Global language" by David Cristal. Take a look.

Sid 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Do Americans feel afraid of the growth of English   –  Jefferson  22/JAN/2012, 4:49 PM
 Do Americans feel afraid of the growth of English   –  Sidney  22/JAN/2012, 5:58 PM
Do Americans feel afraid of the growth of English   –  Teacher  22/JAN/2012, 7:56 PM
Do Americans feel afraid of the growth of English   –  PPAULO  22/JAN/2012, 10:10 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K