ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  13/FEV/2012 9:31 PM
Assunto:  British Humour is different

Mensagem:  Your English is excellent!

By no means did you offend me.  I said we were not from another planet because of the title of the post: "British humor is different".  In general, what makes a Brit laugh will make us laugh too.  One obvious exception is humor related to culture, history, etc.  If I made a joke about my Uncle Sherman marching to the sea, I doubt that many outside the USA would understand I was talking about General Sherman, who was certainly not an uncle of mine.  (General Sherman made his "march to the sea" during the Civil War, burning and destroying everything in his path, cutting the heart out of the Confederacy.)  And Brits could make jokes about their history, customs, mores, etc., and I would have no idea what they were talking about.   

The ads in your post can be found in US newspapers too.  I found nothing unusual about them.  So, that is why I wrote my post.

In the Canela-Gramado area I put an ad in the local newspaper.  I was selling a car with 200 reais of food in the trunk.  Guess what?  I got many calls, and everyone wanted to know more about the food!

No hard feelings?  Still friends?

Hope so...

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
British Humour is different   –  Mara Queiroz  12/FEV/2012, 11:06 PM
British Humour is different   –  Dale-USA  13/FEV/2012, 1:24 PM
British Humour is different   –  Mara Queiroz  13/FEV/2012, 6:30 PM
 British Humour is different   –  Dale-USA  13/FEV/2012, 9:31 PM
British Humour is different   –  Wauber.  14/FEV/2012, 10:26 AM
British Humour is different   –  Dale-USA  14/FEV/2012, 10:43 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.