Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  14/FEV/2012 1:06 AM
Assunto:  Search perfection ou ... the perfection?

Mensagem: 
You wrote:

There's just one thing that native speakers can make do better than non-native speakers. It's to speak without an accent.

Besides, being a native speaker doesn't become make anybody better than a non-native in any language around the world.

Because
Languages is for who likes and studies it! Independently of being a native speaker.

(I would suggest re-writing this sentence.  Perhaps:  "Since languages are for those who like them, independently of being a native speaker.")

Please! Don't take me like think I am arrogant, because I'm not.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charles, I do not agree with what you write about native speakers versus non-native speakers.  I've met many non-natives who fooled me completely.  Some of four of my nephews and nieces (born in Costa Rica) learned English in the Philippines.  After a few years, they spoke English just like American kids with the exception of the non-academic vocabulary one would learn outside the classroom.  (I've often wondered why they had not learned to speak English with a Filipino accent.)  On the other hand, I had a classmate from São Paulo whose vocabulary and command of grammar made me envious, but his pronunciation was terrible.  I remember girls from Japan and Costa Rica who could easily pass as Americans except when it came to writing.  For some reason, they simply could not write. 

Two areas I find much more telling than accent are non-academic vocabulary (day-to-day living, work-related, etc.) and the cultural aspects of language.  In the case of my Costa Rican relatives, for example, I recall a nephew asking me in perfect, unaccented English how to say French fries.  Any American child would have known that word, but he didn't because he had not lived around Americans.  Remember also that a native spends a lifetime hearing and reading various words in context.  He may not be able to explain why, but he knows a word is right because he has heard/read it a thousand times in a thousand situations.  The native also has the experience of years of being in various situations with other natives, and he knows instinctively that if Mr. "A" says this, then he should say "B", and if situation "C" arises, his response should be "D".  This knowledge is not easily acquired, but for the native it is part of his daily life.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Usar "To" ou não usar?  –  Intruder  05/FEV/2012, 1:14 PM
Usar "To" ou não usar?  –  PPAULO  05/FEV/2012, 2:33 PM
Usar "To" ou não usar?  –  Dale-USA  05/FEV/2012, 4:04 PM
Usar "To" ou não usar?  –  Intruder  05/FEV/2012, 8:40 PM
Usar "To" ou não usar?  –  Charles Krause  08/FEV/2012, 4:59 PM
Search perfection ou ... the perfection?  –  Oiroso_  09/FEV/2012, 11:44 AM
Search perfection ou ... the perfection?  –  Marcio_Osorio  09/FEV/2012, 12:01 PM
Search perfection ou ... the perfection?  –  PPAULO  09/FEV/2012, 9:25 PM
Search perfection ou ... the perfection?  –  Oiroso_  10/FEV/2012, 7:47 AM
Search perfection ou ... the perfection?  –  Charles Krause  12/FEV/2012, 6:26 PM
Search perfection ou ... the perfection?  –  Dale-USA  13/FEV/2012, 2:18 AM
Search perfection ou ... the perfection?  –  Charles Krause  12/FEV/2012, 4:05 PM
Search perfection ou ... the perfection?  –  Dale-USA  13/FEV/2012, 2:20 AM
Search perfection ou ... the perfection?  –  Charles Krause  13/FEV/2012, 4:59 PM
 Search perfection ou ... the perfection?  –  Dale-USA  14/FEV/2012, 1:06 AM
Search perfection ou ... the perfection?  –  Charles Krause  14/FEV/2012, 3:30 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K