ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  26/MAR/2012 9:36 PM
Assunto:  Consonants and vowels

Mensagem: 

Yep, I must admit technically and grammatically it might be called a consonant.

Indeed the word is an "odd man out", an exception to the rule.

Then enter phonetics again. I got curious why Wikianswers and crosswords, scrabbles, quizzes sites go on and on saying "rhythm" is vowelless? /P>

The only reasoning that would do is that it´s a "sillabic trill" (trinado silábico), regarded phonetically as consonant.  I tought that it had to do that, but had found nothing to back it up.

Sounds like the only one valid explanation is that the "y" don´t quite provide a vowel sound in the word, but a trill of sorts.  Just listen to it in any dictionary, or in Google. I would say it has a sound in its own right.

It also seems that:

"The letter y is a consonant when it is the first letter of a syllable that has more than one letter. If y is anywhere else in the syllable, it is a vowel." was created to dysillables or with more syllables indeed. Or at least phonetically, like "yes" etc.

In other words, seems like the other words there don´t influence the nature of "y" in this very especial case.

The short answer to your question? yes, it should be a vowel, and it is and it isn´t.

------------------------ ------------------- 

See this rather similar view in this site... 

http://linguistlessons.blogspot.com.br/2010/02/vowels-and-consonants.html

vp    said...

But the syllabic trills of the Slavic languages really are consonants phonetically.

The approximants used by most English speakers at the beginning of words like "Red" [
ɹ~ɻ], "Wed" [w] and "Yes" [j] are from a purely phonetic point of view vowels, in that they do not result in any build up of pressure in the vocal tract, or cause any turbulence. They are considered consonants at the phonological level because of their non-syllabicity.

However, when similar sounds are used syllabically, as in the syllabic cores of "goose" [u] or "fleece" [i] or (N.American) "nurse"[
], there is no reason, either phonological or phonetic, to consider them consonants.

---------------------------------------

Paraphrasing it a bit, certainly the final conclusion is the one we all reached here, there was no reason not to consider the ''y'' consonant.  Except that phonetics comes to spoil the fun!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Consonants and vowels  –  Maria Madalena  25/MAR/2012, 6:54 PM
consonant and vowels  –  PPAULO  25/MAR/2012, 9:22 PM
consonant and vowels  –  PPAULO  25/MAR/2012, 9:26 PM
consonant and vowels  –  Maria Madalena  26/MAR/2012, 10:42 AM
Consonants and vowels  –  Ricardo - EMB  26/MAR/2012, 10:35 AM
Consonants and vowels  –  Maria Madalena  26/MAR/2012, 8:34 PM
 Consonants and vowels  –  PPAULO  26/MAR/2012, 9:36 PM
Consonants and vowels  –  Maria Madalena  27/MAR/2012, 8:18 AM
Consonants and vowels  –  PPAULO  27/MAR/2012, 8:23 PM