Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  08/ABR/2012 10:30 PM
Assunto:  Child support & Drive Licence.

Mensagem:  When talking about laws, one must be careful with terms such as "in the US".  We must think of the US as fifty countries, not one country divided into fifty pieces.  Each of the fifty states has great freedom in determining laws and punishments.  What is legal in California is not necessarily legal in Florida.  What is legal in Florida may or may not be legal in Texas.  A resident of California, for example, may drive in Oregon with a California operator's license (the California term for a driving license) for two weeks.  After two weeks, however, he is expected to obtain an Oregon license.  For a Nevada attorney to work in Arizona, he must pass an Arizona exam and be granted permission to work there.

In California, a driving license is not revoked or suspended in child support cases.  If it can be revoked/suspended for that in other states, I do not know.  It doesn't make sense to me.  Revoking/suspending a license will make it more difficult to pay child support.  So, what is the point?

Also bear in mind that it is not a crime to be poor, broke, etc.  If a defendant can prove that making payments creates an unusual hardship, I doubt that the court would try to enforce the requirement and would settle for a lesser amount.  That is how it is done in Calfornia.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Child support & Drive Licence.  –  PPAULO  08/ABR/2012, 9:12 PM
 Child support & Drive Licence.  –  Dale-USA  08/ABR/2012, 10:30 PM
Child support & Drive Licence.  –  PPAULO  08/ABR/2012, 10:51 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K