PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Sidney - Real one...LOL
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  12/ABR/2012 1:32 PM
Assunto:  The History of English Language

Mensagem: 

Hi Mada,

Thanks for sharing it with us. The video is funny but is not a 100% accurate. They didn't mention the Celts. Also I wish they had explained better about Old English, Middle English and Modern English. A comedian (Dane Cook) said once, "That you like?" and according to him, this was Old English. Funny guy, but so wrong. Old English looks like more German than anything else. One can't even read that. Also, many people believe that Shakespeare's English is Old English, again so wrong! In the video they mentioned the influence French had (and has) into English. However, it was Norman's French (from that region) which is not a 100% like the French spoken in middle and south France.

One of the most important fact about English history was omitted on the video.

"The great vowel shift" which was a major change in the pronunciation of the English. This explains a lot why the writing and the pronunciation is so different in English.

I love this language and I'm still trying to figure it out. I good book about English History was written by Seth Lerer. This professor is my inspiration when it comes to the English language.

Thanks,

Sid...the real one...LOL 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
The History of English Language  –  Maria Madalena  12/ABR/2012, 5:15 AM
The History of English Language  –  Crok is loco  12/ABR/2012, 10:03 AM
 The History of English Language  –  Sidney - Real one...LOL  12/ABR/2012, 1:32 PM
The History of English Language  –  Maria Madalena  13/ABR/2012, 1:09 AM
The History of English Language  –  Sidney  13/ABR/2012, 1:48 AM
The History of English Language  –  Maria Madalena  13/ABR/2012, 2:12 AM
The History of English Language  –  Sdiney  13/ABR/2012, 12:59 PM
The History of English Language  –  PPAULO  14/ABR/2012, 10:30 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K