[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  06/MAI/2012 2:54 PM
Assunto:  Fran

Mensagem:  When I was a kid, I had a "lunchbox" (lancheira).  I would take it to school with me.  It had a thermos bottle to keep milk cold.

My dad used more or less the same thing, but his was a little more "macho".  No Disney animals.  No Superman.  No cowboys and Indians,  No TV stars.  No nothing.  Just black paint.

He did not call his a "lunchbox".  His was a "dinner pail".  (pail = bucket = balde)  Apparently the miners of the 1800s carried into the mines a bucket/pail containing their food.

Another word he used a lot was "brickbat".  Bat?  Like a baseball bat?  It was years before I learned that a brickbat was a piece of broken brick.

There is very little difference between the vocabulary/accent of Southern California and Southern Oregon.  But one exception comes to mind.  When I would be out with my brother and nephew, sometimes they would talk about "black guys" being here last week, "black guys" being over there last year...  Why?  After a few years I finally understood.  They were not saying "black guys".  They were saying "black ice".  Black ice is a very thin layer of invisible ice on a highway.  It is found where it is foggy or misty and cold.  The fog (or rain mist) gets the highway wet, and it freezes.  The ice is so thin, however, that it cannot be seen.  And the black ice may only last 10-15 minutes before it has melted and the road is again just wet, not icy.  When you drive on a patch of black ice, your car goes crazy.  It wants to go in four directions at one time.  It can be quite exciting!  One moment you are driving down a road, and the next moment the car is sliding sideways and you are imagining your funeral and choosing a headstone.   LOL

Just as in Brazil, there are many accents in the USA.  In April I was in Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky.  The accents were much softer than I had expected, and they were quite charming and pleasant.  Many years ago I spent some time in Texas, Oklahoma, and Colorado.  I was amazed at the number of quite different accents I heard.

In Baurú (SP), I was at a cattle exposition.  A vendor asked if I wanted to buy a "chapeeeeuuuu".  I thought he was making fun of my American acccent, but it turned out he was some region that had an unusual accent and that was simply his way of saying "chapeu".   LOL

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Good evening  –  Marinalva  05/MAI/2012, 8:42 AM
Good evening  –  Dale-USA  05/MAI/2012, 12:34 PM
Fran  –  Dale-USA  05/MAI/2012, 12:39 PM
Fran  –  Fran  05/MAI/2012, 9:23 PM
Fran  –  Dale-USA  05/MAI/2012, 11:34 PM
Fran  –  Fran  06/MAI/2012, 12:25 AM
Fran  –  Marinalva  06/MAI/2012, 2:20 PM
 Fran  –  Dale-USA  06/MAI/2012, 2:54 PM
Fran  –  Renan  06/MAI/2012, 6:57 PM