Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  infojunkie
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  07/JUL/2012 10:31 PM
Assunto:  Translation -There´s nothing basic about equation.

Mensagem:  Hello everyone from sk.com.br.

I had posted a thread one or two months ago and it had the contribution from fellow poster CRS. I´m gonna quote the contents of the previous thread:

By infojunkie:

I read this textbook and there was the following sentence:

"There´s nothing basic about equation xxx..."

At first I had no problem at all with this until I put my eyes  on the Portuguese version of the book. The above sentence was translated  as:

"Não há fundamentação teórica para a equação xxx....", which is not at all what I understood at first.

What do you think of the editor´s translation?

By CRS:

To me this means something more like "this is a complicated equation, there is nothing simple about it"  but having more of the context might help.
Sounds like a bad translation.  The translator was probably thinking of  "There is no basis for equation xxx..."
Be well.

I have upload scans of the book pages so you can have some context and the actual equation. The equation and the sentences are inside red rectangles (you might have to copy and paste the links in your browser in order to see the jpegs):

Original, in English:
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/334/equationfrombookenglish.jpg

The translation, into Portuguese:
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/6048/equationfrombookportugu.jpg

So, what do you think of the editor's translation? Do you agree with it?

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 Translation -There´s nothing basic about equation.  –  infojunkie  07/JUL/2012, 10:31 PM
Translation -There´s nothing basic about equation.  –  Dale-USA  08/JUL/2012, 5:17 PM
Thanks there Dale.  –  infojunkie  23/JUL/2012, 10:51 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K