[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Jazz
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  15/JUL/2012 7:38 PM
Assunto:  not only... (but) (also) ??

Mensagem:  I was on a teacher's board for a state entrance exam today and one of the "supposedly" correct options included a structure in which the "also" was missing from it. I checked it over the net, but there is no common ground. 

Who´s right anyway? Both? Maybe so.

"Few constructions cause as much consternation for editors as that in which a contrast is represented with the phrase “not only, . . but.” The solution to garbled syntax in such constructions is simple but bears repeating, so multiple sample sentences follow. But before we go any further, note not only that a comma following “not only” is unnecessary but also that also (or too or as well) is essential after but."

"Despite the apparent simplicity of these correlative conjunctions, there is uncertainty and disagreement over the suitability of their use and the correctness of their placement. Much of this discord pertains to the need for parallelism and sentence balance. I’ll look at that later in the post, but first I’ll give an overview of how the conjunctions are used. (...)  

Writers typically, but not always, use both parts of the set, i.e. (1) not only, and (2) but (also). The first part is occasionally written not just or not alone, while the second part is commonly seen in the forms but . . . too and but . . . as well. These variants offer different nuances but not very different meanings. (...)   

“The omission of the also is not only frequent but Standard” (Kenneth G. Wilson, Columbia Guide to Standard American English) 

Cmbridge dictionary allows/cites the dropping of "but", not "also". 

That's a very silly question which tests no knowledge or competence in reading whatsoever, but those who design tests like these insist on assessing unnecessary grammatical points like that. 

Help me out, please.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 not only... (but) (also) ??  –  Jazz  15/JUL/2012, 7:38 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K