[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  15/AGO/2012 2:10 AM
Assunto:  Let me star over

Mensagem:  I answered you questions in haste.  Bad idea!

I'm a bit confused now because I have been corrected when I used "call" instead of "draw" or "attract."
Whoever was correcting you was not American.  In the USA (to call) it is commonly used
to mean to attract, to draw.  Was the person British?  Perhaps in the UK "to call" is not used that way.  In the USA, it is most certainly used to express that meaning.

I can't remember its context clearly, but would it be correct to say "some students want to call their classmates' attention using expensive smartphones?"

Yes.  Be careful with "call" because it can mean "telefonar".  I read your question quickly, saw "smartphone". and I misunderstood it.  I am human,  I made a mistake.  Sue me.  LOL 

I don't feel completely comfortable with the sentence, and yet I cannot point to any particular part and say "This is wrong and let me explain why I am saying that."  The meaning would be clearer if you use "...attention by using..."
  Otherwise a reader could be confused and, reading quickly, believe you meant "...classmates who are using..."  Do you follow me?

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Call / Draw your attention  –  Thiago  11/AGO/2012, 11:17 AM
Call / Draw your attention  –  Dale-USA  11/AGO/2012, 3:53 PM
Call / Draw your attention  –  Thiago  12/AGO/2012, 9:21 PM
Call / Draw your attention  –  Dale-USA  15/AGO/2012, 1:58 AM
 Let me star over  –  Dale-USA  15/AGO/2012, 2:10 AM
Let me star over  –  Thiago  15/AGO/2012, 8:51 PM
Let me start over  –  Dale-USA  16/AGO/2012, 1:42 PM
Let me start over  –  Thiago  16/AGO/2012, 10:43 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.