[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  21/AGO/2012 11:05 AM
Assunto:  Scheduled down

Mensagem:  Good observation, Student.  I think we are giving a good example of how a bilingual team can work well together.  Being a native, it is so obvious to me that "to schedule down" is not a phrasal verb that I didn't even comment on it.  But you had the experience of learning English as a second language, and your experience made you aware of information that Mike would want to know.  We made a good team,

I want to know your whereabouts since yesterday down to the half-hour.

The meaning can be found in my earlier explanation:  "precise to half-hour increments".

I do not want to hear: "Yesterday I went shopping after breakfast and I bought a book at the bookstore after lunch."  I want to hear:  "I awoke at 6:30 AM, and I did not leave the apartment until 8:10 AM.  I walked to the bus stop on Second Avenue and Peach street, arriving just before 8:30.  The 254 bus arrived about 8:40 AM, I boarded, and I got off the bus on Central Avenue near the old post office about 20 minutes later.  I walked to the office, arriving 10-15 minutes later.  Around 10:45 AM Jack, Jill and I left the office and went to the coffee shop on the corner.  I saw Maru having coffee, but she was busy talking with a friend and I did not speak to her.  By 11:20 AM Jack and Jill had returned to the office, but I went to a bookstore".

As you can see, you are giving very precise information about where you were and when, what you were doing and with whom.  I can name any 30 minute period of that morning, and you can give specific information. 

I want to know how you spent the $20 down the quarter (our coin of 25 cents).

I do not want to hear:  "I bought some things."

I want you to tell me:  "I bought a newspaper for 25 cents, a coffee for a dollar, about three dollars in stamps, a novel for ten dollars plus tax, a ballpoint pen for $1.59 plus tax...."

You are being very specific, and you can account for every quarter that you spent.  You are being precise down the last quarter.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Scheduled down  –  Mike  19/AGO/2012, 12:12 PM
Scheduled down  –  Dale-USA  19/AGO/2012, 2:42 PM
Scheduled down  –  Mike  20/AGO/2012, 12:15 AM
Scheduled down  –  Student  21/AGO/2012, 5:06 AM
 Scheduled down  –  Dale-USA  21/AGO/2012, 11:05 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K