Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  24/SET/2012 11:08 PM
Assunto:  Pode responder present quando o aluno tá presente?

Mensagem:    To the Portuguese speaker (mainly the one in passing), to help him to understand it better:

http://idioms.yourdictionary.com/all-present-and-accounted-for
  What does "all present and accounted for" mean?
   All members or items of a group are here or their whereabouts are known, as in Is everyone ready to board the bus?—All present and accounted for. This expression almost certainly originated in the armed forces as a response to roll call. By proper logic, the and should be or. Nevertheless, the expression is used colloquially to offer assurance that no person or thing is missing.

-------------------------
     My first comment is about Osorio/Oiroso is that, at least in my stint in the Navy, the number answering was used by wet-behind-the-ears recruits in Navy Schools, where the higher-ups couldn´t ever know everybody by name, so number would come in handy.   

And, when I was talking about the calling roll I was thinking about the ones to verify if all the personal on duty in a given day is in the headquarters/barracks.

In the case of in-ranking inspections, the procedure is a little similar to the one that Dale have said, however instead of the individual "accounting for" routine, adressed by the lower ranks to the junior office.  It´s the junior office or leader that will adress the inspecting officer.

The adress will be then by saying his name, then Division or Department/Platoon, how many are on leave, sick, etc... and then saying that the given group  is prepared to inspection.    What in practice means that every man is accounted for, then.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Pode responder present quando o aluno tá presente?  –  Rita de Cassia  23/SET/2012, 5:36 PM
Pode responder present quando o aluno tá presente?  –  Dale-USA  23/SET/2012, 5:57 PM
Pode responder present quando o aluno tá presente?  –  PPAULO  23/SET/2012, 6:12 PM
Pode responder present quando o aluno tá presente?  –  PPAULO  23/SET/2012, 6:22 PM
Pode responder present quando o aluno tá presente?  –  Oiroso_  24/SET/2012, 8:26 AM
Pode responder present quando o aluno tá presente?  –  Dale-USA  24/SET/2012, 10:10 AM
 Pode responder present quando o aluno tá presente?  –  PPAULO  24/SET/2012, 11:08 PM
Pode responder present quando o aluno tá presente?  –  CRS  24/SET/2012, 11:10 PM
Pode responder present quando o aluno tá presente?  –  PPAULO  24/SET/2012, 11:21 PM
Pode responder present quando o aluno tá presente?  –  CRS  25/SET/2012, 6:53 PM
Pode responder present quando o aluno tá presente?  –  PPAULO  27/SET/2012, 12:47 AM
Pode responder present quando o aluno tá presente?  –  CRS  27/SET/2012, 9:39 PM
Pode responder present quando o aluno tá presente?  –  PPAULO  27/SET/2012, 11:50 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K