LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  17/OUT/2012 2:13 AM
Assunto:  não estar com cabeça pra

Mensagem:  Duas situaçoes:

1) Alguém logo após um acontecimento triste

2) Alguém uma semana antes do casamento

"Ele (1 ou 2) nao deve estar com cabeça pra pensar em ir a show...

A expressão NAO ESTAR COM CABEÇA seria a mesma, em inglês, pras duas situações?

1)
After the death of his close buddy, being given notice by his boss, being dumped by his spouse, and getting himself into an accident; he didn´t felt like going out. (não tinha cabeça para sair.)         
didn´t felt like parting at all. (não tinha cabeça para festas.)
wasn´t in the mood for chasing girls (não tinha cabeça para ir atrás de garotas) wasn´t in  the mood for jokes (não tinha cabeça para piadas, nem ouvir nem fazê-las.)
wasn´t not even in the mood for outdoor activities (não tinha cabeça nem para qualquer atividade ao ar livre.)
His heart sank, he got so sad that he didn´t feel like he could get out of his chair. (ele não tinha cabeça pra nada.)

Here I emphasize the gloomy, helpless feeling that people may undergo after any sad event.  Generally a little depressive mood (i.e. emotional stuff.)

2) I think he won´t show up at the show, he is simply overloaded with the preparations for the wedding, and the preparations for the wedding alone.

I think he can´t go to shows these days, since his head is entirely into the preparations for the wedding.

Don´t expect him going to shows these days, since he is obssessed with the preparations for the wedding.

He is not really into shows for awhile, preparations for the wedding is his first priority right now.

He can´t take the preparations for the wedding out of your head, he don´t even think of going to shows anymore. (or these days et cetera...)

Here is more, say, physical,   Due to busyness, tiredness, etc.   (i.e. Physical stuff.)

But you stumble upon contexts where you can experience both (1) and (2).   Hence, there´s not a fixed rule, there is, they may be interchangeable depending on context.   

For example, in 2) we could rephrase a sentence into:      
  He don´t feel like going to the party, the preparations for the wedding made him a wreck! 

Well, it´s my stab at it.   Yet, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    Let´s wait then for comments from natives, teachers, and other learners as well.  
   To me, Sidney´s example was very good as well.

Comments, proofreading, editing, anything is welcome.  Express yourself guys!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
não estar com cabeça pra  –  Thomaz B.  16/OUT/2012, 4:54 PM
não estar com cabeça pra  –  Sidney  16/OUT/2012, 5:12 PM
 não estar com cabeça pra  –  PPAULO  17/OUT/2012, 2:13 AM
não estar com cabeça pra  –  Sidney.  17/OUT/2012, 2:38 AM
não estar com cabeça pra  –  PPAULO  17/OUT/2012, 3:32 AM
não estar com cabeça pra  –  Thomaz B.  17/OUT/2012, 8:32 AM
não estar com cabeça pra  –  Dale-USA  17/OUT/2012, 4:43 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K