ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Sid
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  17/OUT/2012 5:29 AM
Assunto:  I'm learning English...

Mensagem:  Sid,

Great to read your message. Indeed, Utahns have a clear accent. People here sound like people from Colorado, Arizona, Idaho, and New Mexico. Utahns have a very good level of education in general. These days Utah is getting some extra attention because of Mitt Romney and his connections with Utah because of family and religion.

People here tend to be very patient in explaining things to foreigners, and they seem to appreciate when someone is making the effort to learn and speak English.

I have noticed from experience that many elderly people are more willing to speak with anyone who will speak to them, and they have so much to share; there's much to be learned from them. Although some elderly people are very quiet.

I think that the major challenge for the typical ESL student in the US is to have the personal determination to overcome the hurdles and speak English most of the time; a hurdle students face is the speaker of their own language. I have seen Asians speaking their language with their friends; Brazilians seem to become homesick very soon, and end up using every change they get to speak Portuguese.

A young lady from Brazil in her early 30's, who didn't know a word in English, told me that when she came to the US and stayed with two roommates who spoke only English she started feeling desperate and decided to look for people who spoke Portuguese.

Bottom line, she went back to Brazil after 1 year in the US without fluency in English. In the CEFR ( Common European Frame of Reference ) I would put her at a lower A2, which is a strong beginner; however, she chose to speak Portuguese while in the US rather than English.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
I'm learning English...  –  Jorge Vinicius  12/OUT/2012, 12:14 AM
I'm learning English...  –  Teacher  12/OUT/2012, 1:10 AM
I'm learning English...  –  Sidney  12/OUT/2012, 11:17 AM
I'm learning English...  –  Teacher  12/OUT/2012, 10:12 PM
I'm learning English...  –  Sidney  13/OUT/2012, 12:49 AM
I'm learning English...  –  Teacher  13/OUT/2012, 4:48 PM
I'm learning English...  –  Oiroso_  15/OUT/2012, 7:54 AM
I'm learning English...  –  Sidney  15/OUT/2012, 10:32 AM
I'm learning English...  –  Teacher  16/OUT/2012, 12:52 PM