ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Teacher
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  18/OUT/2012 2:44 AM
Assunto:  I'm learning English...

Mensagem:  Sid,

Utah has some steady weather seasons, but Winters are very mild if compared to Idaho or Wyoming which are closer North.

I actually live in the Provo area where it doesn't snow as much as Salt Lake City. One night, for instance, I was attending a workshop in Salt Lake and as I was driving North or Provo towards Salt Lake City I drove into a snow storm, but it wasn't either raining or snowing in Provo; which is just a 40-mile distance. 

However if you go to Logan, it is colder than Salt Lake City. On the other hand, Southern Utah could be called mild Arizona; it is warmer than the rest of Utah but not as warm as Arizona.

Now going back to topic, I think that many students are just running away from their personal dilemmas while enjoying life and making new friends abroad; maybe they are just too young to have that vision of how important fluency in English can mean to their careers, and again maybe just think they are fluent or that it is hard to become very fluent.

I think many ESL students go back to their countries and then they realize how much they wasted their time abroad and how far from being really fluent they really are.

Like you said, it is a sad scenario. It is like in the US, a lot of tax-payer money is spent on teaching ESL to minorities and many people take it for granted.

Utah has a school near downtown Salt Lake City called Granite, which is part of the public school district, where they offer full-time ESL for a very low cost and they cater specially for refugees, they even give lunch for the students, but I'd say that only 0,01 % of the student body is made of Brazilians or Hispanics in general.

But whatever, right! We are doing our part, we want to get better and become more fluent and near native speakers.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
I'm learning English...  –  Jorge Vinicius  12/OUT/2012, 12:14 AM
I'm learning English...  –  Teacher  12/OUT/2012, 1:10 AM
I'm learning English...  –  Sidney  12/OUT/2012, 11:17 AM
I'm learning English...  –  Teacher  12/OUT/2012, 10:12 PM
I'm learning English...  –  Sidney  13/OUT/2012, 12:49 AM
I'm learning English...  –  Teacher  13/OUT/2012, 4:48 PM
I'm learning English...  –  Oiroso_  15/OUT/2012, 7:54 AM
I'm learning English...  –  Sidney  15/OUT/2012, 10:32 AM
I'm learning English...  –  Teacher  16/OUT/2012, 12:52 PM