ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  infojunkie
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  23/OUT/2012 11:17 AM
Assunto:  What is the best way to translate "compromise

Mensagem:  Hello PPAULO.

Indeed, the sentence in the OP was something I made up myself, not a true excerpt from the text. The sentence is not quite correct.

Instead of  "a 4% content of chromium is, as a general rule, exhibits the best compromise between toughness and hardness"

it should read somethign like " a 4% content of chromium  is, as a general rule, exhibits the best compromise between toughness and hardness".

The problem with the translation still remains. I do not feel confident that using the word "compromisso" to mean compromise.

Professors here in Brazil, in my experience, are not very well versed in the English language, and it is not uncommon to see translations to go from just a little weird sounding to plain wrong.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
What is the best way to translate "compromise  –  infojunkie  22/OUT/2012, 5:59 PM
What is the best way to translate "compromise  –  Renan  22/OUT/2012, 6:40 PM
What is the best way to translate "compromise  –  PPAULO  22/OUT/2012, 11:57 PM
What is the best way to translate "compromise  –  PPAULO  23/OUT/2012, 12:05 AM
What is the best way to translate "compromise  –  miltonhw  23/OUT/2012, 9:36 AM
 What is the best way to translate "compromise  –  infojunkie  23/OUT/2012, 11:17 AM
What is the best way to translate "compromise  –  Sidney.  23/OUT/2012, 12:55 PM
What is the best way to translate "compromise  –  PPAULO  23/OUT/2012, 2:32 PM
What is the best way to translate "compromise  –  PPAULO  23/OUT/2012, 2:53 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K