ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  05/DEZ/2012 12:58 AM
Assunto:  Frase feita.

Mensagem: 
  Vestibular é coisa séria. Para ser bem sucedido na prova e não jogar meses, ou até anos, de estudos fora

Entrance exams is a serious matter/thing.  To be succesful and not throw months of studying down the drain/  not study in vain, etc...

In other words: morrer na praia (here, it means wasting your time and not have succes at the [very]  end).
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

http://www.chicagosteelhockeyteam.com/steel-fall-short-indiana/
← Steel Run Home With a Victory Against the Stampede

Steel Fall Short in Indiana
Steel morre na praia em Indiana.
Published on November 12, 2012 by Jmontalbano    

Bensenville, IL (November 11th, 2012) -  Christian Heil scored two goals and goaltender Chris Nell made 36 saves, but it was not enough for Chicago as the Indiana Ice earned a 5-2 victory over the Steel on Sunday afternoon at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Ind.

Christian Hell e Chriss Nell salvaram vários lances, mas, ainda assim o time morreu na praia.   To no avail!

//////////////////
    Falling short, having a sense of "disapointment", like "oh, I can´t believe it, I almost got there..." I have seen the expression used usually in the sport field.

http://ramaponews.com/disappointment-at-design-derby-ramapo-teams-fall-short-1.2941526#.UL60SWecsek
“It was a bit of a heartbreak," Regna said. “Both of our teams came up with great ideas and did well presenting them. The team I was on felt we had come up with a beautiful design and concept, so it was extremely disappointing when we found out we lost.”

====================
   Might be other ways of saying that, and other senses, of course.   Let´s wait for further comments.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Frase feita  –  lucatan  04/DEZ/2012, 12:46 PM
Frase feita  –  miltonhw  04/DEZ/2012, 5:09 PM
Frase feita  –  Tiago T.  04/DEZ/2012, 10:03 PM
 Frase feita.  –  PPAULO  05/DEZ/2012, 12:58 AM
Frase feita  –  Tiago T.  06/DEZ/2012, 1:10 AM
Frase feita  –  Tiago T.  06/DEZ/2012, 1:23 AM
Frase feita  –  Dale-USA  07/DEZ/2012, 2:09 PM
Frase feita  –  PPAULO  08/DEZ/2012, 3:01 AM
Frase feita  –  Tiago T.  06/DEZ/2012, 1:51 AM