PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  17/FEV/2013 10:20 AM
Assunto:  preposição Easter

Mensagem: 

(a1) At the Easter, kids receive... 
Incorrect.  "The" does not precede an unmodified "Easter"and only rarely does it precede a modified "Easter".
At the Easter break, the kids receive... ("The" is optional.)
During the Easter break, the kids receive...  ("The" is optional.)
At Christmas, but not at the Christmas.
(True, the Internet may show "at the Easter", but...what comes after the word Easter?  I bet you will find a noun or more information.  At the Easter party...)

(a2) At Easter, kids receive... 
Correct.  This refers to the time period around the time of Easter and includes the actual day of the year called Easter.  It could be a day before, the same day, a day afterwards...  Not exact.
At Christmas.

(b) On Easter, kids receive... 
Correct.  This refers to the exact day of Easter.
On Christmas.
(True, the Internet may show "on the Easter", but...what comes after the word Easter?  I bet you will find a noun or more information.  On the Easter trip to Canada...)

(c) In Easter, kids receive... 
Incorrect
In Christmas.  Also incorrect.

(d) By Easter, kids receive... 
Correct, but the meaning is much different and specific, and it refers to the time prior to the date of Easter.  It would not
During the period of time between a specific day and Easter, the kids routinely receive...  THIS IS NOT THE SENTENCE IN YOUR QUESTION. When "by" is used, the meaning becomes "Prior to Easter..."
By Christmas I want you to have completed the construction of the house.  =  Prior to Christmas...
By Christmas the professor wants me to have finished the thesis.  =  Prior to Christmas...

"At Christmas" and "On Christmas Day" are correct.  Again, "at Christmas" is not an exact day, but "Christmas Day" is.
At Christmas, I go see my family in Kentucky.  I usually arrive about the 22nd of December.  We spend Christmas Day with Gramma.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
preposição Easter  –  Elvira  17/FEV/2013, 5:50 AM
preposição Easter  –  Fran  17/FEV/2013, 8:22 AM
preposição Easter  –  Elvira  17/FEV/2013, 9:11 AM
 preposição Easter  –  Dale-USA  17/FEV/2013, 10:20 AM
preposição Easter  –  Fran  17/FEV/2013, 1:58 PM
to Elvira (preposição Easter)  –  Fran  17/FEV/2013, 2:16 PM
to Elvira (preposição Easter)  –  Elvira  17/FEV/2013, 7:52 PM
to Elvira (preposição Easter)  –  Fran  17/FEV/2013, 8:08 PM
preposição Easter  –  Renan  18/FEV/2013, 11:18 AM