ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Jazz
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  23/AGO/2013 7:12 PM
Assunto:  Toefl vocabulary

Mensagem:  Hi,

I found this site, but it did not help me much, actually.

There mus be sth. that is making us miss the point. Let´s wait for the brightest minds... Dale, Sidney, Teacher, PPaulo, Breck, Fran and many others.

I also look forward to understanding how they will tell apart one word from the other. I´m prettty sure sbd. will. 

Recreation vs. Entertainment
© 22 Dec 2011 Luther Tychonievich
Licensed under Creative Commons: CC BY-NC-ND 3.0

Decou­pling two ideas.

The Eng­lish word “‍entertain­ment‍” comes from the Latin inter(among or across) and tenere (hold or keep). Entertain­ment is that which holds the inter­est and atten­tion.

The Eng­lish word “‍recre­ation‍” is also from the Lat­in: re (again) and creare (make or beget). Recre­ation is that which renews and revital­izes us.

There seems to be a de-facto acceptance in Amer­ican soci­ety that entertain­ment is recre­ation. It’s gone so far that phrases like “‍recre­ational drug use‍” mean the exact oppo­site of what the word means. Even fairly innocu­ous entertain­ment is often not recre­ation­al, being instead a hold­ing-pat­tern or escapism. I have been known to spend hours in entertain­ment with­out any notice­able renewal.

The prophets have encour­aged us to engage in “‍whole­some recre­ational activ­i­ties,‍” par­tic­u­larly as a fam­ily. As I have mulled over the mean­ing of this phrase I have found it surpris­ingly diffi­cult to identify what activ­i­ties will recre­ate good­ness a pri­ori. I have also found it much eas­ier to identify fam­ily recre­ation than indi­vid­ual recre­ation. Indeed, the best recre­ation of an indi­vid­ual I can imag­ine is also the recre­ation of a fam­ily.

I have no great con­clu­sion to this pon­der­ing to share at the pre­sent time, but found the pon­der­ing itself to be worthwhile. I hope it may ben­efit oth­ers as well.

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lat7h/blog/posts/168.html

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Toefl vocabulary  –  Katiana  23/AGO/2013, 4:05 PM
 Toefl vocabulary  –  Jazz  23/AGO/2013, 7:12 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K