ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale - USA
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  24/AGO/2013 5:40 PM
Assunto:  Hoping

Mensagem: 

Is it wrong to write or say ¨Raining like crazy"?  I would say it is and it is not.  The normal or standard way to express the thought is "It is raining like crazy."  Especially in email, it has become very common to read and write the phrase without ¨"It is."  Are the writers stupid, ignorant slobs?  Some probably are, but my experience has been that almost everyone who uses this form of English would never dream of writing that way in other contexts such as a letter, school paper, etc.  They know when the context is right and when it is wrong because they have been hearing and reading the language all their lives.

I call this form of the language "Headline English" due to its similarity with newspaper headlines.  Have you noticed that headlines in English seem to have grammar rules of its own?  You can bet the editors know their American English grammar and are quite aware that the headlines are not gramatically correct.  Forgive me for repeating myself, but I think you can also bet that most of those who shorten phrases in email are perfectly aware that what they are writing is not gramatically correct in most contexts but generally accepted in email communications.   

To my surprise, I have learned recently that many articles have been written about "Headline English".  One article I found was written about 1930.  In addition to finding it in headlines and emails, "headline English" is also found in greeting cards and postcards.  I saw an example recently in a Christmas card for the year 1942.  Did the printer or editor make a mistake"?  I doubt it.  At least in the USA, one of the most common postcard messages is "Wish you were here."  Headline English was probably used to make the message in the card sound more personal, intimate, warm, affectionate.  Where is the prepositon "I"?  It is understood.  The same message is often written "Wishing you were here."  And the preposition?  It is understood, of course.    

The importance of context cannot be over emphasized.

Hoping* you are having a great month,

Dale

*("I am" if you must insist.)

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Question about verbs  –  Alexander  20/AGO/2013, 3:16 PM
Question about verbs  –  Sidney  20/AGO/2013, 5:55 PM
Question about verbs  –  Teacher  22/AGO/2013, 2:18 PM
Question about verbs  –  Sidney  22/AGO/2013, 2:54 PM
Question about verbs  –  Teacher  22/AGO/2013, 7:29 PM
Question about verbs  –  Sidney  23/AGO/2013, 12:03 AM