PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Sidney
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  08/SET/2013 7:46 PM
Assunto:  Feedback do TOEFL (Sid)

Mensagem:  Hi Jazz,

How things? (or should I say, how have you been?)...lol

I don't know how to answer your question...I write in a very easy and simple way. And I'm sure if you look carefully you will find not one but many mistakes. Don't believe that mistakes is something exclusive to foreigners because it's not. Natives make mistakes all the time, they just don't care as much. 

I write many emails everyday and I never got an email saying: "STOP! why you used THAT instead of WHICH? Or yet, why you wrote MAYBE when you should use PERHAPS?"

Like I said, (or as I said) I try to keep simple and make myself understood everytime I speak/write. I could come and use words like WHATSOEVER, NEVERTHELESS, THUS, and so on. But for me they don't mean anything...

My main goal speaking another language is to communicate. I love my Brazilian accent which kinda stands out in the crowd...lol (the girls also like it :))

I don't know about you, but for me, among my friends and coworkers. We speak in a very informal way. No one ever stop the conversation to peek or correct each others grammar or way to say things. Here in Canada the impression I have is "do things quickly and get it done" I could answer the phone and say "whom am I speaking with?" or just say "Sorry who's that?" which I'd probably do... 

I posted an example here before, if someone points a gun at you and tells you. "I'm gonna kill you" if you say, "please don't, do not please, no shot me please, no me, me not please, me friend" and the guy doesn't shoot you it means that he understood the message. I meet a guy who told me once, "I go to sleep early yesterday" before I even realize what and how he said it, I just told him, "me too I was so damn tired". and life carried on...

So all I'm trying to say is, I'm not paranoiac with grammar, fancy vocabulary, I enjoy far more the everyday expressions, slang, and stuff like that. ;)
I'm not saying that we should skip grammar, no no no, I think everyone should study it and go through, but unless you're running for president or want to become a grammarian I think language is way more than rules, structure and etc. 
Sorry for the long post...lol but I really like your point ;)

Sid.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Feedback do TOEFL  –  katiana  04/SET/2013, 11:06 PM
Feedback do TOEFL  –  Sidney  05/SET/2013, 12:15 AM
Feedback do TOEFL  –  PPAULO  05/SET/2013, 11:28 PM
Feedback do TOEFL  –  Jazz  07/SET/2013, 8:41 AM
Feedback do TOEFL (Sid)  –  Jazz  07/SET/2013, 8:55 AM
Feedback do TOEFL (Sid)  –  Katiana  08/SET/2013, 9:41 AM
Feedback do TOEFL (Katy)  –  Jazz  08/SET/2013, 7:04 PM
Feedback do TOEFL (Jazz)  –  Katiana  12/SET/2013, 8:33 PM