ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Fran
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  24/NOV/2013 5:12 PM
Assunto:  Startup money

Mensagem: 
I have many friends who took ESL programs in the USA, most inside American universities. These are expensive ESL full-time programs, and yet they returned to Brazil speaking very "bad" English. Their teachers in the USA were in most cases 99 % native speakers of American English, but now and then these friends of mine were taught English inside American universities by immigrants from Russian or India (who are well experienced in teaching and have at least a master degree in English). Another friend of mine, from São Paulo, took his master degree in the USA, and he had to teach non-natives English learners, himself being a non-native speaker, because that was part of the requirement for his graduation at that university.

Despite the fact that those friends of mine have had teachers who have advanced degrees in English, such as Master Degrees, they didn't learn much more than Brazilians do without ever leaving Brazil. Even students of "franchise" schools many times show more mastery in the language then do those who have traveled and studied English in the USA, or Canada, or even the UK. A friend stayed in Dublin, Ireland for two full years, went to school Monday through Friday and can barely speak any English.  

From my personal experience, international companies in Brazil, as wells as other countries where the first language is not English, are looking for workers that speak "some form" of English, which is somewhat fluent, but very far from the near native ability, but can make it possible for a native speaker of English and a foreign to work together on company projects without the aid of an interpreter.

Brazil is not the only country experiencing a lack of native speakers willing to teach languages, such as English. 

The USA also has a lack of native speakers of American English in the teaching profession, but not English, in the USA they lack professors with advanced degrees teaching more advanced and technological subjects. So in the USA they have to resort to hiring foreigners that speak awful English to teach technology at many universities. Sometimes the English speaking skill of a professor is so low that American students have to drop the class to avoid the teacher. I read some news about a particular state representative who wrote a bill that would make it mandatory that professors passed an English proficiency exam before  they could be hired to teach at the state university.

A global world or community requires language interaction, and such interaction will never be perfect.

For many international companies the Brazilian English has been working fine because every year we learn of more international investment in Brazil. 

In 2009 Cambridge University Press, sold  24,5 million Reais in English teaching materials alone in Brazil, 10 % higher than in 2008. If our English was so bad why would Cambridge even helps us on our endeavours to teach English?  I know 24,5 million Reais is nothing compared to Billion Dollar American companies, but it is something for Cambridge because I believe the ELT operation in  Brazil pays itself, so that the researchers at Cambridge can keep their research grants, while the ELT division at Cambridge can sell more and profit more from the Asian market.

I have a close friend, who works for a top financial institution in Brazil, he speaks excellent English, he does have a Brazilian accent, he has never studied accent, intonation, stress, and reduction, he speaks English in between Felipe Dibb and Paulo Barros ( from those youtube links ), and the other day this friend of mine was offered a position in New York City to work side by side an American financial planner in NYC.

This friend learned English from Cambridge's "English Grammar in Use" by Raymond Murphy, then he started teaching and studying at Wizard, he finished all of the Wizard books. For him Wizard school worked. He has never lived outside Brazil, and he started learning English when he was 20, now he's 32.

My friend and I spoke a lot in our Brazilian / International English because he wanted to activate his English before a series of interviews for that position in NYC. He told me that although it is required to be a fluent English speaker for his current job that there are zero opportunities to speak English at his local office.

In Brazil we have a saying "quem não tem cão caça com gato" (similar to "there's more than one way to skin a cat".

Outra expressão local, "pagamos muitos micos ao tentar falar inglês",  (we make a fool of ourselves trying to speak English), but at least we are trying to do it.

And in case ya'll missed, here goes Joel Santana to brighten your Sunday.

Joel Santana is "the master of the magicians" when it comes to speaking English.

http://youtu.be/BoxA9ghHkOM

I appologize this post is o long "e tenho dito!"

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Startup money  –  leonam  22/NOV/2013, 2:33 PM
Startup money  –  Fran  23/NOV/2013, 6:53 AM
Startup money  –  leonam  24/NOV/2013, 12:54 AM
Startup money  –  Fran  24/NOV/2013, 5:17 AM
Startup money  –  leonam  24/NOV/2013, 12:41 PM
Startup money  –  Josi  24/NOV/2013, 1:12 PM
Startup money  –  patrick  24/NOV/2013, 2:18 PM
Startup money  –  Josi  24/NOV/2013, 3:33 PM
Startup money  –  leonam  24/NOV/2013, 4:53 PM
 Startup money  –  Fran  24/NOV/2013, 5:12 PM
Startup money  –  leonam  24/NOV/2013, 5:59 PM
Startup money  –  Fran  24/NOV/2013, 6:12 PM
Startup money  –  patrick  24/NOV/2013, 6:53 PM
Startup money  –  Fran  24/NOV/2013, 7:34 PM
Startup money  –  patrick  24/NOV/2013, 6:56 PM
Startup money  –  leonam  24/NOV/2013, 7:26 PM
Startup money  –  leonam  24/NOV/2013, 7:37 PM
Startup money  –  leonam  24/NOV/2013, 7:39 PM
Startup money, about C2 CEFR  –  Fran  24/NOV/2013, 7:51 PM
Startup money, about C2 CEFR  –  leonam  24/NOV/2013, 8:04 PM
Startup money, about C2 CEFR  –  Fran  24/NOV/2013, 8:16 PM
Startup money  –  pat  24/NOV/2013, 9:25 PM
Startup money  –  leonam  25/NOV/2013, 1:29 AM
Startup money  –  pat  25/NOV/2013, 1:35 AM
Startup money - foreign language teaching in the U  –  Fran  25/NOV/2013, 4:21 PM
Startup money - foreign language teaching in the U  –  pat  25/NOV/2013, 5:00 PM
Startup money - foreign language teaching in the U  –  leonam  25/NOV/2013, 7:48 PM
Startup money - foreign language teaching in the U  –  Fran  25/NOV/2013, 8:33 PM
Startup money - foreign language teaching in the U  –  pat  25/NOV/2013, 11:39 PM
Startup money - foreign language teaching in the U  –  Fran  27/NOV/2013, 11:18 AM
Startup money - foreign language teaching in the U  –  pat  27/NOV/2013, 6:14 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K