ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale Thomas / USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  16/MAI/2014 10:35 PM
Assunto:  Family

Mensagem:  Thank you!

How true  They are like two mirrors.  Each is a reflection of the other.  You cannot know the culture without speaking the language, and you cannot speak the language without knowing the culture.  Hand in hand.

I live in Guatemala.  In my interactions today I was much more polite and formal in Spanish than I would have been in English with Americans or other native English speakers.  In Spanish such courtesy and "charm" is expected, but not in English.  Later in the afternoon a woman at a bakery began asking me questions about where I lived, how much was my housing cost, with whom I lived, etc.  Had she been American, I would have told her to go to hell.  How much I earn and/or spend is private and in my culture of no concern to her.  But she was Guatemalan, and in most Latin cultures such information is freely exchanged between complete strangers and asking such questions is not considered impolite. I smiled and spoke frankly with her.  Brazilians talk about being "fechado" and "aberto".  They are two factors of another culture, another set of rules of behavior and courtesy.  Each reflects the other.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Family  –  Luciane  15/MAI/2014, 3:10 PM
Family  –  Dale Thomas / USA  15/MAI/2014, 7:31 PM
Family  –  Luciane  16/MAI/2014, 9:52 AM
Family  –  Dale Thomas / USA  16/MAI/2014, 7:17 PM
Family  –  Ricardo - EMB  16/MAI/2014, 8:12 PM
 Family  –  Dale Thomas / USA  16/MAI/2014, 10:35 PM
Family  –  Fran  17/MAI/2014, 6:08 PM
Family  –  Dale Thomas / USA  18/MAI/2014, 4:14 PM
Family  –  Fran  29/MAI/2014, 1:39 PM