[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Fran
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  17/MAI/2014 6:08 PM
Assunto:  Family

Mensagem:  I have an American cousin. Her mom, my aunt, is Brazilian. My cousin's father is American, but I've never met him because my aunt got a divorce 20 years ago. I've asked my cousin questions about my ESL books, and she tells me that the dialogues in the books I have don't sound natural to her. It's frustrating to me because these are very good and modern books written by native speakers, but I understand that textbooks have vocabulary and language structure goals to achieve. I showed my cousin an accompanying video for one of my textbooks, and on that video people are walking down Central Park in NY and a lady comes with a mic and asks people their name and if they can spell it. Maria, my cousin, gets very annoyed at these kinds of videos. She's a NYC native and maybe that's why she's a bit impatient, I don't know for sure. But I understand that ESL books are for learners.

Most likely no one would come out of the blue and look at me and say "My cousin is a doctor." 

However if a translation is required, it is easy just to write "Meu primo ou Minha prima é médico(a)."

As learners we shouldn't get so caught up in minor details. We need to make room to learn the culture as Dale and Ricardo have mentioned.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Family  –  Luciane  15/MAI/2014, 3:10 PM
Family  –  Dale Thomas / USA  15/MAI/2014, 7:31 PM
Family  –  Luciane  16/MAI/2014, 9:52 AM
Family  –  Dale Thomas / USA  16/MAI/2014, 7:17 PM
Family  –  Ricardo - EMB  16/MAI/2014, 8:12 PM
Family  –  Dale Thomas / USA  16/MAI/2014, 10:35 PM
 Family  –  Fran  17/MAI/2014, 6:08 PM
Family  –  Dale Thomas / USA  18/MAI/2014, 4:14 PM
Family  –  Fran  29/MAI/2014, 1:39 PM