[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  29/JAN/2015 1:27 AM
Assunto:  Is it good?

Mensagem:  I work for a very big company and, every other year, we go on strike to get better benefits for all the workers.  What we've perceived to be a lingering snag throughout all these years, though, is the fact that there seems to be a sort of rift amongst the staff as many fellow workers have failed to participate in the work stoppages. We pretty much see that as betrayal because, after we achieve our goals and improve our overall conditions at work, they also benefit from it. Furthermore, those taking the initiative are the only ones penalized when the strike is over since, most of the time, the company leaders panel (???) decides to not paying us for the days spent on strike.

to all the working class = The strike is to help the workers, not the working class.  Right?

to participate in it = The sentences are quite long.  The reader may need more information than "it".  

when the strike is finished =  "Over" sounds more natural.  

company leaders panel =  I would suggest "management" or "company negotiators".

on discounting the days off of our paychecks = "For the days spent on strike" sounds more natural.

The major suggestions are made in blue, but there were some minor changes I did not write in blue.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Is it good?  –  EU  25/JAN/2015, 12:10 PM
Is it good?  –  Tiago T.  25/JAN/2015, 6:34 PM
Is it good?  –  Renan  25/JAN/2015, 11:21 PM
Is it good?  –  EU  27/JAN/2015, 11:24 AM
Is it good?  –  Tiago T.  28/JAN/2015, 9:22 AM
 Is it good?  –  Dale  29/JAN/2015, 1:27 AM
Is it good?  –  EU  08/FEV/2015, 3:10 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K