LINGUISTICS & CULTURE
|Data:||13/FEV/2015 12:30 AM|
|Assunto:||Safety x Security|
I found many websites and forums discussing the difference between "safety" and "security". Most explanations were confusing in my opinion. The one that made more sense to me was the following:
"Secure" seems to work well when the primary danger is theft, while "safe" seems to work better when the threat is to one's well-being.
* Information security - The main concern is data theft.
* The birds are safe. - The main concern is that predators may harm the birds.
* The birds are secure. - The main concern is that someone may steal the birds.
* I don't feel safe in this car. - The main concern is a car accident.
* Keep your wallet in a secure location. - The main concern is theft.
Are there exceptions? Probably many. But the idea helps you develop an "intuition" for the best word choice.
I hope that helps!
Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens