[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Fran
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  08/MAR/2015 9:57 PM
Assunto:  Communicative Approach

Mensagem:  I enjoyed reading all your comments. I haven't really read any research on language acquisition but I do want to learn the articles that Prof. Ricardo recommended. 

Reading PPaulo's comments is great because as myself he's a learner too.

I believe that most of the second language acquisition research has stopped and hasn't evolved since the late 70's and early 80's, and that's challenging because all of sudden we have the Internet with many resources for learner's, but we don't have any research on methodology based online showing if it is possible or not to learn inside the classroom or just outside of it.

The problem with the classroom nowadays is very complex. For example, a friend of mine, who's currently attending an immersion program in English in the US, inside a very reputable university, from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm at a cost of 3,000.00 US Dollars for a program that lasts 16 weeks has told me that he has four teachers a day, one is an international master student from China teaching him grammar, another is a Russian at a master teaching reading, another teacher is from Argentina, all 3 have foreign accent in English, and the 4th teacher, the speaking and listening teacher, is a US Native with no foreign accent.

Then, when it is time to interact in the classroom, my friend tells me the student next to me is from Asia and can barely speak any English.

There are 6 levels, which are 16 weeks each. My friend is in the very first level.

Somehow, if we want to learn how to speak, we have to practice the language and although we might not have the ideal conditions we have to do what we can to achieve the end result which I believe is fluency.

I believe in continuous improvement, so as a learner, specifically as an independent learner I am, I try not to get too caught up in what won't work, so rather I focus on what I believe works for me.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Communicative Approach  –  Crok is loco  03/MAR/2015, 11:07 PM
Communicative Approach  –  Ricardo - EMB  04/MAR/2015, 12:40 AM
Communicative Approach  –  PPAULO  04/MAR/2015, 2:35 AM
Communicative Approach  –  Crok is loco  04/MAR/2015, 5:49 PM
Communicative Approach  –  PPAULO  05/MAR/2015, 1:00 AM
 Communicative Approach  –  Fran  08/MAR/2015, 9:57 PM
Communicative Approach  –  Crok is loco  09/MAR/2015, 5:46 PM
Communicative Approach  –  Fran  10/MAR/2015, 5:25 PM
Communicative Approach  –  PPAULO  10/MAR/2015, 11:29 PM