PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Crok is loco
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  15/MAR/2015 1:31 PM
Assunto:  Communicative Approach

Mensagem: 

Hi, Fran. 

I'm totally with you when you say Brazilian schools are handicapped in some aspects such as limited teaching hours, lack of opportunities for interaction, and so on. However, it is not uncommon to see frustrated students who have also failed learning English even after many years along with private tutors. In spite of all these flaws, I've already seen extraordinary learning outcomes in different parts of Brazil, particularly in classrooms! I'm not going to argue the reasons for failure or success, that's pretty subjective and complex to understand clearly. Instead, I prefer to leave a short comment on my own view of non-native teaching in Brazilian classrooms.

I do believe that speaking a language involves acquiring communicative competence. That means being able to use grammar, vocabulary, social rules and discursive strategies all together in order to convey meaning. Obviously, a native speaker acquires such competence intuitively under natural circumstances. My belief is that it is completely feasible for a student to acquire this competence in a classroom without native speakers. In others words, I really think communicative competence is teachable and a qualified non-native Brazilian teacher can do that. However, the outcomes might vary a lot. After all, it also depends on students.

I’d like to end my post with a reflection. Imagine an adult student who failed learning English with a great teacher who did exactly the right things under perfect conditions. Would that same person acquire the English language in a native-speaker environment? 

What about the opposite? Imagine a person who failed learning English in a native speaking context for a number of reasons (inhibition, prejudice, fear, etc). Would that same person acquire the English language in a rich classroom context?

Cheers

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Communicative Approach  –  Crok is loco  03/MAR/2015, 11:07 PM
Communicative Approach  –  Ricardo - EMB  04/MAR/2015, 12:40 AM
Communicative Approach  –  PPAULO  04/MAR/2015, 2:35 AM
Communicative Approach  –  Crok is loco  04/MAR/2015, 5:49 PM
Communicative Approach  –  PPAULO  05/MAR/2015, 1:00 AM
Communicative Approach  –  Fran  08/MAR/2015, 9:57 PM
Communicative Approach  –  Crok is loco  09/MAR/2015, 5:46 PM
Communicative Approach  –  Fran  10/MAR/2015, 5:25 PM