PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  AndreaCris
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  30/SET/2017 8:35 PM
Assunto:  Inversion after negative and limiting adverbials

Mensagem: 
Hi guys,

Thanks for answering me. But I still have doubts.
I had already googled "inversion after negative". When there is only one clause, I can get it. What I can't understand is when there are two clauses, which one do I have to invert?
I had aready read the site that PPaulo mentioned and I became happy until I find these two sentences below in one of the Macmillan books:

Only after you have spent an evening there will you begin to understand the special charm of this place.
Only after some years did I understand how important that experience had been for me.

I've already read an explanation that to know which sentence you have to invert, you need to know which one is the main clause and which is the subordinate clause, but I got even more confused.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Inversion after negative and limiting adverbials  –  AndreaCris  29/SET/2017, 5:02 PM
Inversion after negative and limiting adverbials  –  PPAULO  30/SET/2017, 10:35 AM
Inversion after negative and limiting adverbials  –  Josi  30/SET/2017, 10:39 AM
 Inversion after negative and limiting adverbials  –  AndreaCris  30/SET/2017, 8:35 PM
Inversion after negative and limiting adverbials  –  PPAULO  30/SET/2017, 9:27 PM
Inversion after negative and limiting adverbials  –  PPAULO  30/SET/2017, 9:30 PM
Inversion after negative and limiting adverbials  –  PPAULO  30/SET/2017, 9:35 PM
Inversion after negative and limiting adverbials  –  AndreaCris  02/OUT/2017, 11:06 PM
Inversion after negative and limiting adverbials  –  Ricardo - EMB  03/OUT/2017, 11:42 AM
Inversion after negative and limiting adverbials  –  AndreaCris  06/OUT/2017, 2:12 PM
Inversion after negative and limiting adverbials  –  PPAULO  14/OUT/2017, 4:37 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K