[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Márcio Farias
E-mail:  marcio_osorio@oi.com.br
Data:  14/JUL/2007 7:07 PM
Assunto:  sorry for/sorry to

Mensagem:  We use sorry with an infinitive when we apologize for something that we do or will do.

"Sorry to disturb you--could I speak to you for a moment?" = "I am sorry to..." (Feeling sorry for things you do in the present)

When we apologize for something that we have done, we use use a perfect infinitive, or a for + -ing structure, or a that-clause.

"[I am] Sorry to have woken you yesterday" = "[I am] Sorry for waking you up yesterday" = "I'm sorry that I woke you up yesterday" (Feeling sorry for things you did in the [immediate] past)

If you do something you want to apologize for on the spot, you would best use a sorry + to + verb structure.

A: "Sorry to ask that question again, but when'll we get there?"
B: "At four fourteen" <mumbles annoyed>
C: "Sorry to ask that question again?--Damn it! You've asked that question a million times! If you ask it one more time, we'll throw you overboard for the sharks."
A: "Sorry to have asked that question again..."

Both B and C saw A sorry for unnecessarily repeating a question. B and C hoped A would not annoy them with asking the same question over and over. "Buddy," B and C said, "you'll feel sorry if you ask that question again."

Others will make other distinctions.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
sorry for/sorry to  –  érica  14/JUL/2007, 6:00 PM
 sorry for/sorry to  –  Márcio Farias  14/JUL/2007, 7:07 PM
sorry for/sorry to  –  Johannes  14/JUL/2007, 7:30 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K