PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  The real Alexandre
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  30/JUL/2007 9:55 PM
Assunto:  Rapidinha

Mensagem: 

Marcio,

I often find when dealing with words that one word is somehow connected to the other word I am trying to translate.

I am not trained in these matters so a hypothesis is all I can offer.

My hypothesis is that there is a link amongst the words in these situations. For example if I am reading an article about gardening these may be a greater probability that the next article I read be about fertilizers since the gardening article will probably inform me that I need such knowledge to maintain the garden. I then find two words that I don't understand in each article and I post a request for their translation here on the forum. Chances are there will be a connection between the two words.

The interesting thing, at least to me, is when I only read one article and in my memory I find another word which I want translated and for some reason there is once again a connection between the two chosen words for translation.

Off topic unfortunetly it has been my experience on Brazilian roads as on roads of other countries ( Italy stands out) that the "sluggish bastard" is just obeying the speed limit or is many times exceeding  the speed limit when he or she is overtaken , passed, or on the recieving end of a quickie (which ever you prefer) by another bastard who usually doesn't care if the manuevre is dangerous or not.

I remember once seeing a family weeping on the side of road as  traffic was blocked and I asked a police officer who was on the spot what had happened. He told me that a little girl had just been killed by a driver who tried to overtake the car in front of him and had to dash back into his lane after the overtake so to avoid being hit and when he did his car skidded and invaded the acostamento and killed the child.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Rapidinha  –  Ruby  28/JUL/2007, 12:18 PM
Rapidinha  –  Dale/CR  28/JUL/2007, 12:26 PM
Rapidinha  –  The real Alexandre  29/JUL/2007, 1:07 AM
Rapidinha  –  The real Alexandre  29/JUL/2007, 1:22 AM
Rapidinha  –  Márcio Farias  29/JUL/2007, 11:41 AM
Rapidinha  –  Dale/CR  29/JUL/2007, 11:22 AM
Rapidinha  –  Dale/CR  29/JUL/2007, 1:54 PM
Rapidinha  –  The real Alexandre  29/JUL/2007, 4:19 PM
Rapidinha  –  Pierre  29/JUL/2007, 6:45 PM