[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  12/JUN/2008 11:32 AM
Assunto:  Para Nativos 2

Mensagem:  A Curitibana friend had a son in Los Angeles, where I was living at the time.  He could not find work, she said, because of discrimination against Latins.  I told her that it was not easy to find a good job, that he had to be patient, and that I simply didn't believe he was being discriminated against.  Within a week he had a great job at the J Paul Getty Museum.

I am a big believer in "Seek and thou shall find."  If you want to find discrimination, you're going to find it whether it exists or not. 

At work I was accused of discriminating against a Mexican I'd never seen face-to-face.  When I looked at his paperwork, I saw that his name was John Deutsch.  As I told him over the phone, how was I supposed to know he was Mexican so I could discriminate against him?  He apologized.  And if I hated Latins so much, which half of my son did I hate?  Right side, left side, upper half, lower half?  If I discriminate against Latins, why have I lived in Brazil and Costa Rica?  In court I was accused of being prejudiced against a Black.  The accuser did not know the defendant's true name, the nature of the crimes he had been convicted of, etc.  Nor had she understood what the judge said about the creep in open court.  The man was a liar who lied about me under oath.  If I hate Blacks so much. my Black nephews and nieces haven't noticed.    Discrimination is an easy word to shout when you want to feel sorry for yourself.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Para Nativos 2  –  Marquito  12/JUN/2008, 10:39 AM
Para Nativos 2  –  Márcio Farias  12/JUN/2008, 11:13 AM
Para Nativos 2  –  Sidney  12/JUN/2008, 11:27 AM
 Para Nativos 2  –  Dale/CR  12/JUN/2008, 11:32 AM
Para Nativos 2  –  Sidney  12/JUN/2008, 11:25 AM
Para Nativos 2  –  Dale/CR  12/JUN/2008, 11:54 AM
Re: Para Nativos 2  –  PPAULO  12/JUN/2008, 7:32 PM
Re: Para Nativos 2  –  Márcio Farias  12/JUN/2008, 11:57 PM
Re: Para Nativos 2  –  PPAULO  13/JUN/2008, 7:52 PM