[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/CR
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  13/JUN/2008 2:47 PM
Assunto:  ListenXHear

Mensagem:  When you hear, your ears perceive sounds.  When you listen, you pay particular attention to what your ears perceive.  Clear?  Of course not!

I hear voices.  (Maybe I don't know who is speaking, and maybe I don't know what they are saying.  However, I know that someone is talking.)
I am listening to voices.  (I am understanding or trying to understand what they are saying.)

I hear the radio.  (Perhaps I don't know what is being played or said, but I am aware of the presence of a radio.)
I listen to the radio.  (I am aware of what is being played or said.)

I hear footsteps.  (My ears tell me that someone is walking.  I am aware of the sounds of steps.)
I listen to footsteps.  (I am paying particular attention to the sounds of someone walking.  Is he getting closer?  Is it a man or a woman?  Is it Jack?  Could it be Mary?  The footsteps sound familiar.)

Are you hearing me?  (Can you detect the sound of my voice?)
Are you listening to me?  (Are you paying attention to me?  Are you understanding what I am trying to communicate?)

Do you like to listen to CDs? (Do you like the music found on CDs?)
Do you like to hear CDs?  (This doesn't make sense.  People may say this in informal speech, but "to listen" is a better choice.)

Did you hear the bell?  (Were you aware of the sound of a bell?)
Did you listen to the bell?  (This doesn't make sense.  How would you pay particular attention to a bell?)

Did you hear the bells?  (Were you aware that bells were ringing?)
Did you listen to the bells?  (Possible...  Were you paying close attention to the sounds or tunes made by the bells?)

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
ListenXHear  –  Lidi  13/JUN/2008, 1:15 PM
 ListenXHear  –  Dale/CR  13/JUN/2008, 2:47 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K