LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  21/AGO/2009 4:12 PM
Assunto:  What´s the best grammar?

Mensagem: 

Please, take a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_Postal

I said that you all could correct any gramatical errors, so the ON stuff was welcome, correction accepted. Trouble is, to remember in the future...he he.  But I will try.

Gramática de Inglês - Editorial Presença was the Brazilian publisher that translated the book (Langenscheidt was the original publisher).  In fact, the book is thin, but it covers most of English topics, in an amazing way.

www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O999-fave.html
www.babylon.com/definition/FAVE/Portuguese
===============================
  Sidney, this is an interesting point.    When I took an English course (the only one in my life), my teacher would correct me all the time, she wished that I talked in a grammatically way.  The trouble was, I read lots of English novels and they influenced my conversation, they got in the way.
   For example, on the page 272 (my "Going Postal" hardcover novel), I chose the is following bit of conversation:

"The gods will provide," said Moist.  "Trust me on this."
   She peered at him.
   "You´re serious?"

She (the teacher) would stop me here, and correct me "Are you serious?".

The good news here is, I know that grammatically the novel would be innacurate; but then I learned (by myself) that yes, they do talk like this.
   In this same fashion, I notice that the Florida´s lyrics don´t need to make sense when they sing "dabundíi dabundaa...(Portuguese pronounce, I mean), my lips like sugar...   since it is put there for effect, rhythm etc.

Even so, I warn the reader that I am reading a given author/work or if some sentence comes from lyrics, so he/she will know that it is slight informal, or even slangy.

By the way, I was told that a friend of mine went abroad, and in an English-speaking country he asked "tem beers?"  (he, of course,  meant "tem cervejas? / vende cervejas?")
    The waiter thought he had ordered ten beers (bottles), and the rest is story...

PP.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
What´s the best grammar?  –  Aman  21/AGO/2009, 8:44 AM
What´s the best grammar?  –  Sidney  21/AGO/2009, 8:59 AM
What´s the best grammar?  –  PPAULO  21/AGO/2009, 9:29 AM
What´s the best grammar?  –  PPAULO  21/AGO/2009, 9:30 AM
What´s the best grammar?  –  Dale-CR  21/AGO/2009, 1:11 PM
What´s the best grammar?  –  Sidney  21/AGO/2009, 10:05 AM
 What´s the best grammar?  –  PPAULO  21/AGO/2009, 4:12 PM
What´s the best grammar?  –  Aman  21/AGO/2009, 10:30 PM