LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  24/AGO/2009 11:26 PM
Assunto:  trabalho

Mensagem: 

receber a recisao de contrato = ???

receber aviso previo = to receive prior notice

receber o 13o salario = I've never heard of this practice in an English speaking country.  In Spanish the term varies from country to country.  In Costa Rica it's called "el aguinaldo". 

demissao por justa causa = to be fired with good cause

E o q quer dizer a expressao I WAS LET GO?

--To let go is a euphonism for demetir.  It sounds "nicer" than to fire.  Did you do something wrong?  Will you be re-hired when things change?  It's not clear.

--People are fired because they did something that did not please the employer.  It's possibly but doubtful that the employee will ever be re-hired.

--People are laid off for a variety or reasons:  there is not enough work for the number of employees, the project has ended, raw materials are unavailable, etc.  To lay off or to be laid off implies the employee was not at fault, that he did nothing wrong and that he will be re-hired when conditions improve.   (I believe in Australia the term to be made redundant is used with similar meaning.)

--To give notice is to tell your employer than in two weeks (one month, two months, whatever) you are leaving his employ.  This gives him a chance to find a replacement for you and time for your friends to organize a "farewell party".

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
trabalho  –  despedido  24/AGO/2009, 9:41 PM
let go   –  Dismissed  24/AGO/2009, 9:53 PM
 trabalho  –  Dale-CR  24/AGO/2009, 11:26 PM
trabalho  –  demitido  25/AGO/2009, 7:36 AM
trabalho  –  Dale-CR  25/AGO/2009, 10:56 AM
trabalho  –  PPAULO  28/AGO/2009, 4:44 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K