PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Breno N.
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  27/AGO/2009 2:50 PM
Assunto:  Anglicismos

Mensagem: 

It’s getting interesting,

Sorry Breno but I disagree with you. The language not only looses its beauty but also it’s useless. If you use a word in English and miss pronounce what’s the point to say it in English? As N.N. are saying, when I native comes by the communication wont flow.

I think that when you appropriate a word from another language you can always modify its meaning and pronunciation the way you fell like it, as long as you are understood by a group within your culture. No copyrights applies here. Of course that when speaking a foreign language you can't use those new words.

You say the language is culture. Many people believe in that. What about a family who lives in a jungle with no culture and still communicating themselves through a language? Or yet, some ill person that doesn’t walk, doesn’t see but speaks a language, where
culture fits in that case?

A good definition of culture from Wikipedia:

• "excellence of taste in the fine arts and humanities, also known as high culture
  • an integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief, and behavior that depends upon the capacity for symbolic thought and social learning
  • the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution, organization or group."

• I believe that if you are a human being and you can interact with the environment you can create "culture". Language is a mean of obtaining culture and cultute itself.

Once I was talking to a friend who had just come from Brazil and she told me, “I was surprised to see Stallone speaking Portuguese…”

It’s common you hear people saying, “I hate movies with subtitles”.

I also disagree about the “fear the interference of another country”. We have tons of Chinese (who doesn’t), German, Poland (south), Italians. I don’t thing that’s the case.

Brazilians usually don't accept well when a foreigner criticize us. It's very usual to hear people say that Brazil is the best country in the world with its most beautiful beaches.

Brazil is not a country open to immigration. That is too bad. A immigrant here has a hard time to open a bank account or have a proper job.   Most Germans, Italians and Polishes come from old immigration wave. 

In my opinion, the Brazilian language problem goes beyond all that. For example, we are surrounded of Spanish-speak-countries. We should, at least, learn Spanish to be able to communicate ourselves in Spanish. Well, I wont even start the Portuguese they
    teach in Brazil.

I believe that nowadays English is more important as an international language and because US is still a superpower. We can't run against the wind.

Thiago brought up a good point about the Brazilian Portuguese be syllable-timed language. The funny thing is the Portuguese from Portugal is not. It’s a stress-timed language. Maybe that’s why Portuguese people speak English way better than Brazilians.

Maybe because they see as a nation the importance of English as a second language.

Sid.

Envie uma resposta
    Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
    Anglicismos  –  N.N  26/AGO/2009, 5:26 AM
    Anglicismos  –  Sidney  26/AGO/2009, 10:40 AM
    Anglicismos  –  Dale-CR  26/AGO/2009, 11:08 AM
    Anglicismos  –  Uoxinton da Silva O´Connor  26/AGO/2009, 12:04 PM
    Anglicismos  –  Sidney  26/AGO/2009, 12:07 PM
    Anglicismos  –  Fran  26/AGO/2009, 1:01 PM
    Anglicismos  –  N.N  26/AGO/2009, 7:38 PM
    Anglicismos  –  Fran  26/AGO/2009, 9:57 PM