Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  30/AGO/2009 6:29 PM
Assunto:  Pronunciation of "&".

Mensagem: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampersand

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
"&" redirects here. For the Ayumi Hamasaki single, see & (song)
For the magazine, see Ampersand magazine.

An ampersand (&), also commonly called an 'and sign', is a logogram representing the conjunction "and".
The symbol is a ligature of the letters in et, Latin for "and". Its origin is apparent in the images shown below.
Etymology
The word ampersand is a corruption of the phrase "and per se and", meaning "and [the symbol which] by itself [is]
 and".[1] The Scots and Scottish English name for & is epershand, derived from "et per se and", with the same meaning.

Traditionally, in English-speaking schools when reciting the alphabet, any letter that could also be used as a word in itself ("A," "I," "&" and, at one point, "O") was preceded by the Latin expression "per se" (Latin for "by itself"). Also, it was common practice to add at the end of the alphabet the "&" sign, pronounced "and". Thus, the recitation of the alphabet would end in: "X, Y, Z and per se and." This last phrase was routinely slurred to "ampersand" and the term crept into common English usage by around 1837.[2]
Through folk etymology, it has been claimed that André-Marie Ampère used the symbol in his widely read publications, and that people began calling the new shape "Ampere's and." [3]
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
http://www.babylon.com/definition/ampersand/Portuguese
ampersand (&)
E comercial
////////////////////////////////////////
Answering your initial question.  The name of the symbol pronounced is:
http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=ampersand&submit=Submit

But I think that in most of times in its meaning of 'and' it can be pronounced 'and' (normally).   Let´s say, in comercial usage you could say it in its 'end' sound.

Well, it´s a hunch of mine; let´s wait the natives join us to confirm, or not.

BTW, I am a Brazilian learner and the lowest-rank learner here! In other words, I am just beggining.

PP.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Pronunciation of "&".  –  Paulo Vidal  30/AGO/2009, 5:58 PM
 Pronunciation of "&".  –  PPAULO  30/AGO/2009, 6:29 PM
Pronunciation of "&".  –  Romano  30/AGO/2009, 8:18 PM
Pronunciation of "&".  –  Romano  31/AGO/2009, 2:56 AM
Pronunciation of "&".  –  UFO  31/AGO/2009, 11:18 PM
Pronunciation of "&".  –  Dale-CR  31/AGO/2009, 12:01 PM
Pronunciation of "&".  –  N.N  31/AGO/2009, 2:08 PM
Pronunciation of "&".  –  Dale-CR  31/AGO/2009, 2:15 PM