[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  03/SET/2009 1:00 AM
Assunto:  Coffee

Mensagem:  Tiago, you are certainly right about the use of Italian names, but they only work in gourmet coffee shops like Starbucks, The Coffee Bean, etc.  If you are in an average restaurant or a private home, they will look at you as if you crawled out from under a rock.  If you asked me for a "cortado", I'd call you a cab.

Something not discussed is the difference between drinking coffee in Brazil and in the USA (or similar countries).  In Brazil, coffee is a dessert.  You have a meal, and you end the meal with a cafezinho.  You are tired, you want a break, and you have a cafezinho. 
In the USA, it's a beverage, something to accompany a meal, not something to drink after the meal.  And since it's a beverage, it can be consumed alone, without food.

As you probably know, I live in Costa Rica.  Last week my son, a Costa Rican friend, and I had breakfast in an American restaurant here.  Costa Ricans have a concept of coffee that is neither Brazilian nor American.  They will not normally drink it without food.  (I'd better explain this.  Yes, they will drink it after dinner as more or less a dessert, but they will not sit for a few minutes and drink coffee without food as a Brazilian or American will.  They want a cookie, a slice of cake, buttered toast....something... anything!)  It was probably the first time our friend Crístian had coffee with his breakfast.  Americans, on the other hand, drink coffee with meals.  As I recall, in Brazil I'd have a large cup or mug of coffee and milk with breakfast, but after breakfast it was always "cafezinho".  

There are very few nice places here especially for coffee.  On the other hand, better restaurants will offer expresso, cortado, etc.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Coffee  –  Andréa  02/SET/2009, 6:04 PM
Coffee a) café com leite.  –  PPAULO  02/SET/2009, 8:10 PM
b) achocolatado.  –  PPAULO  02/SET/2009, 8:54 PM
c) chocolate quente.  –  PPAULO  02/SET/2009, 8:58 PM
Coffee  –  Dale-CR  02/SET/2009, 10:59 PM
Coffee  –  Tiago T.  03/SET/2009, 12:03 AM
 Coffee  –  Dale-CR  03/SET/2009, 1:00 AM
Coffee - how about tea?  –  N.N  03/SET/2009, 5:07 AM
Coffee - how about tea?  –  Sidney  03/SET/2009, 8:36 AM