[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  13/SET/2009 12:00 PM
Assunto:  translation: American Colonization

Mensagem:  I think PP did a great job with the translation.  I don't recall his source, but it's a bit strong to talk about the misspelling of a word that has no spelling.  Let me explain.  We are using a European alphabet to write a word used in several American Indian languages that did not have a means of writing at the time of the arrival of Europeans.  So, how what is the correct spelling of something that has no spelling?  Some writers use mocussin, makisin, mokkyssin, etc.  Another example is "tepee", the traditonal tent used by the American Indians of the Great Plains.  Is it a "tepee" or is it a "tipi"?  In older books, "tipi" is preferred. 

The same can be said of writing words in other non-European languages.  Is Tokyo Tokyo, or it Tokyo Tokio?  Do you remember when Beijing was Peking?  It wasn't that long ago, was it?

In the 1800s, the Cherokees (North American Indians) adopted a syllabary to write in their language.  Many of the symbols come from the alphabet you and I know.  I believe it was in the late 1800s that missionaries discovered that shorthand was ideally suited for writing the Blackfoot (North American Indian) language, and it was used to print the only newspaper ever published in shorthand.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
translation: American Colonization  –  Maria Letícia  12/SET/2009, 8:07 PM
translation: American Colonization  –  PPAULO  12/SET/2009, 10:11 PM
 translation: American Colonization  –  Dale-CR  13/SET/2009, 12:00 PM
translation: American Colonization  –  PPAULO  13/SET/2009, 4:53 PM
translation: American Colonization  –  Maria Letícia  13/SET/2009, 10:42 PM
translation: American Colonization  –  Tiago T.  13/SET/2009, 10:53 PM
translation: American Colonization  –  Dale-CR  13/SET/2009, 11:26 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K