ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  13/SET/2009 11:26 PM
Assunto:  translation: American Colonization

Mensagem: 

"Over time, Indians developed trails of their own.

These paths often were no wider than 12 to 18 inches across.

Warriors following such paths often moved in single file, and

generations of moccasins wore ruts a foot deep along these

routes."

I'm not sure what the "figures of speech" would be.  It seems quite direct and to the point to me.

"After many years, the Indians created their own trails.  These paths were less than 30-50 centimeters wide.  The warriors who took these paths walked one behind the other, and their leather shoes made long deep holes 30 centimeters deep in the trails."

I don't recall seeing Indian trails, but I probably have.  I've certainly seen many places in the state of Colorado where they used to camp.  They would place rocks around the edges of their tents, perhaps a form of decoration.  I have seen dozens of these rock circles.  In the center of the circles (which would have been in the center of their tents), I could see their old campfires.  These campfires were quite different from the ones I know as a camper (and Scout).  They were made in holes about 30-40 centimeters deep, and about 15 centimeters square.  The four sides would be lined with flat slabs of rock.  (I think there was a small flat slab at the bottom, but I'm not sure.)  This meant that very little firewood was needed to keep the fire alive inside the tent all night.  I wish I could remember the exact words, but I read once that white men made large fires and stood far from them, and Indians made small fires and remained close to them.  This is illustrated by the campfires I found.  I have slept in an American Indian "tepee" or "tipi".  They are fantastic!  You can stand in them, cook in them, etc.  And lots of people can sleep in one.  There are ways to raise and lower the walls to let cool air in or make warm air stay in.  And there is a way to more or less insulate the walls to make tepee warmer in winter.  Their conical shape helps them to resist strong winds.  The US Army copied the tepee concept and called it a "sibley tent".  It was used for several years.  I've also visited Indian cliff dwellings on Mesa Verde, in Chaco Canyon, at Casa Grande, etc. including the Acoma Pueblo (the oldest continuously inhabited village in the United States).  These villages with their well designed houses and building have lasted for hundreds of years.  Incredible....   

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
translation: American Colonization  –  Maria Letícia  12/SET/2009, 8:07 PM
translation: American Colonization  –  PPAULO  12/SET/2009, 10:11 PM
translation: American Colonization  –  Dale-CR  13/SET/2009, 12:00 PM
translation: American Colonization  –  PPAULO  13/SET/2009, 4:53 PM
translation: American Colonization  –  Maria Letícia  13/SET/2009, 10:42 PM
translation: American Colonization  –  Tiago T.  13/SET/2009, 10:53 PM
 translation: American Colonization  –  Dale-CR  13/SET/2009, 11:26 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K