[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  16/SET/2009 4:03 PM
Assunto:  errado

Mensagem:  I'm American, of course, and it sounds strange to me.  Many the Brits, Canadians, Aussies, etc. use it. 

That's the bitch (problem) with English, Spanish, and some other languages too.  T0he languages have lots of regional differences.  I live in Costa Rica.  We use Spanish words here not understood in Nicaragua or Panama, to say nothing of countries that are more distant.  A "chiva" here is a goat.  (But a "chivo" is a pimp.)  In Panama a "chiva" is a rural bus.  A "pinchi mujer" here is a stingy woman, but in Mexico she's a "damn woman".  If you are going to be working with Aussies, you should be learning the English spoken in Australia.  If you are going to be with Americans, you need to study American English.  If you don't do that, it will be like speaking Portunhol.  Ni pescado ni limonada.  Neither one nor the other.  Instead of yelling "But I can understand!", why not learn it right so you can speak and write it correctly instead of sounding "strange"?  Well, that's my thought on the subject.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
errado  –  student  15/SET/2009, 7:19 PM
errado  –  Tiago T.  15/SET/2009, 11:21 PM
errado  –  Dale-CR  16/SET/2009, 1:23 AM
errado  –  Tiago T.  16/SET/2009, 12:56 PM
 errado  –  Dale-CR  16/SET/2009, 4:03 PM
errado  –  Dale-CR  15/SET/2009, 11:39 PM
errado  –  PPAULO  16/SET/2009, 5:51 AM
errado  –  Deivis  16/SET/2009, 8:06 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.