[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  17/SET/2009 6:02 PM
Assunto:  Halloween

Mensagem:  NN's use of "headmistress" made me think of Marcia, she ran the tiny post office where I last lived in California.  If someone asked if she was the "postmistress", she'd say she didn't earn enough money to be anyone's "mistress".  LOL

Fran, I have had some funny experiences at Halloween.  My son (Albert) was probably about five when I took him to a house a block away on Halloween.  The owner had put "ghosts" of cardboard along the walkway to the door, there were giant "spider webs" everywhere, some "jack-o-lanterns" lighting the walk, etc.  Best of all were the eerie sounds coming from the house.  Someone must have been getting murdered inside.  Suddenly Albert wasn't hungry anymore and he had all the candies he possibly could eat in two lifetimes.  What he really wanted...was to go home, to get the hell out of there!  The front door of the house had a small opening at shoulder height so that occupants could see who was at the door without opening the door.  It wasn't quite a window, and it wasn't quite a door.  As we would seen see, it was large enough for a head to pass through it.  Suddenly it opened and a woman's head with a very white face appeared.  "What do you want, little boy?" she cackled like a witch.  Albert needed a change of clean underwear about this time.  What did he want?  He wanted his momma!  And he wanted her right away!  The lady opened the door and held out to Albert a bowl of lemons and garlic.  "Do you want some lemons, little boy?  Some garlic?"  No, thank you, ma'am.  Just let me go home and I promise never to come back.  Ever.  The lady changed her voice back to that of a normal person and asked, "Or how about some candies?"  Well, okay...but then I really must go home.  By this time I was laughing so hard I could hardly stand.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Halloween  –  Mariana Klein  16/SET/2009, 8:00 PM
Halloween  –  Fran  16/SET/2009, 10:57 PM
Halloween  –  Tiago T.  17/SET/2009, 12:25 AM
Halloween  –  Breno N.  17/SET/2009, 1:16 AM
Halloween  –  Dale-CR  17/SET/2009, 2:25 AM
Halloween  –  Mariana Klein  17/SET/2009, 9:38 AM
Halloween  –  Sidney  17/SET/2009, 10:28 AM
Halloween  –  Dale-CR  17/SET/2009, 12:57 PM
Halloween  –  N.N  17/SET/2009, 2:05 PM